1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Needed - Plowing 20 inches of "Cement"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dmjr77, Feb 9, 2005.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 Senior Member

Can any offer any advice on how carefully plow 20 or more inches of "cement" so that I dont kill my trucks? Should I use low range? I am pretty good at being able to judge to pick the blade up a bit off the ground.
    Thank You
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Picking your blade up off the ground would be a mistake and you will get stuck.

Mainly depends on your equipment and the site characteristics. If you have a 1/2 ton truck, try to plow with the storm, not more than 5-6". A 3/4 ton, probably not more than 8-10". I have pushed 14" up 30' of a pretty steep hill with my one ton, but only once and it cost him a lot.

Something to think about is how much can your moldboard handle before it's going over the top and getting behind it. You get wet & heavy snow behind you moldboard and you will be shoveling.
  3. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

Yeh Try To Keep Up Don't Wait Until It's Done To Start.
  4. PlowKid

PlowKid Junior Member

I would use low range just in case. there is no need to add any stress and heat to your tranny if you dont need to.

thats just my $.02

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Depending on where you are stacking, I have always found it best to have blade stright and plow head on pushing as much as you can to that point. At any angle ,halfway,sideways or whatever but I try to get the bulk of it out of the way before I start winrows. If a building is on one side you will have to much to push if you just start at a side and go. I agree with the others about not letting it get to the 20" stage but if you can not help it or thats just the way it happens then the above will help when you 1st start off.

And if thats quick dry you better get er dun!
  6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Well, I don't get to do lots (yet) so I can only talk about driveways.
    The last blizzard we had left 30" for me to deal with and it was the fairly light and powdery snow. Even with that, it got ahead of me and I had a real hard time with a few jobs. At one, it took me nearly an hour just to cut my way into a guy's driveway as the drifts were 3 to 4 feet in places. I just kept scraping off a layer and pushing it side to side. There was no way to hit it straight on, it was just too much snow. After sliding off the driveway into a tree on an uphill incline, nearly an hour of shoveling and a bag of tubesand I got out and finally got it done. It was a b!tch.
    If it had of been the heavy wet "cement" you're talking about, I think it would've been loader work. I don't know if I could have done it. All I can say is if it's heavy wet snow, if you don't stay on top of it you're in for a nightmare.
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Assuming the 20" is already on the ground and settled- your kinda up the creek. I would use low, but be careful- it's easy to rip out the drivetrain. Take little bites out of it and keep pushing them to the sides, alternating sides to give yourself room. Blade on the ground whenever your puching on any paved surface lest you leave snow behind to get yourself stuck in and pack down into ice from being driven over. 1/4 blade max loads you should be able to get it cleared, if there are obsticles on the sides (assuming this is a driveway also- if it's a parkinglot or something call a loader) you may simply have to wait for it to melt or call in a loader. If it's ice...well that's another story all together. (lotsa salt through holes from the top down to loosen it from the paving....)