1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice Needed - Plow Truck Purchase (Details inside)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by QualityNY, Oct 13, 2014.

1. QualityNY

QualityNY Junior Member

I am interested in purchasing a "plow truck" to plow two commercial parking lots that I own. My goal is to find a reliable and long lasting truck to handle our plowing duties and random errands/small deliveries.

Amount of snow removal: Two (2) commercial parking lots, approximately 50 8.5' parking spaces in each parking lot
    Non-snow plowing demands: infrequent deliveries in the tri-state area
    Budget: up to $25,000
    Anticipated ownership period: 10+ years

Any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated:
    (1) gas vs. diesel,
    (2) size of truck (e.g., 3/4 ton),
    (3) model years to focus on or model years to avoid for particular truck brands/engines
  2. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Just hire someone. You can find someone to do it for $2500 a year. And it puts the responsibility on them.
  3. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

I'm on Long Island/Queens - where are you?
  4. QualityNY

QualityNY Junior Member

We're located in the middle of Long Island.
  5. Blizzard1980

Blizzard1980 Senior Member

I could plow them for you if interested. But if you decided to buy a truck regardless then disregard my post.
  6. anz27

anz27 Member

A 3/4 ton would suit you well based on your budget. A gasser would be the best choice for you, diesel are not worth it any more in my opinion. I am biased to things with bowties so Id buy a 2500hd with a 6.0. Engines and transmissions are excellent and should serve you well for many years. Any brand truck will work. Buy as new as possible. If you wash it regularly, it will keep the rust to a minimum.
  7. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Left you a message in your inbox earlier today QualityNY. We plow all over Island and in Queens. Phone number was left this morning. Call for advice either way.
  8. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

For your minimal needs for plowing you could get by just fine with a half-ton truck. You're not plowing commercially and only doing two lots. A half-ton will be just fine for your needs. You DO NOT NEED a three quarter ton truck! With your budget you could get a relatively new truck and plow, which will be reliable for many years to come. But, is it really worth it for you to buy a plow truck? As posted above, if someone is willing to do it for you for 2,500 a year, that would get your plowing done for ten years without the initial cash investment of 25K.
  9. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Exactly what I was thinking. Don't forget all the maintenance and registration and insurance he will have to pay for. It would probably end up costing him the equivalent of 15-17 years of paying someone
  10. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

I'll never buy another half ton again...never.
  11. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

A nice Quad cab 1500 with 8' bed , awsome at the soccer game too , its not just for plowing .
  12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

He will not need commercial vehicle insurance.
    Registration , what $100 to 200 a year depending on the cost of the vehicle.
    Now he can plow his own drive at home too.
    Once you get a truck you wonder how you ever managed without it.

Next, is the op's time constrictions, he will need to start plowing 2 to 3 hrs before the store opens.
    Then, if it's snowing heavily during the day who is going to plow then?

cost,,, it's a deduction/write off on his taxes....

ps don't gt a 1500 get a 2500. as the costs of maintenance should be lower with the 2500 in the long run. Get more truck than you need.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  13. anz27

anz27 Member

Nevermind this post
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  14. QualityNY

QualityNY Junior Member

Thank you for all of the feedback!
  15. QualityNY

QualityNY Junior Member

I have tried to reach out to some of you personally - through the messaging feature of this site, however, I do not seem to have the privileged to message yet; is there a minimum post count, or time period, that a new user has to eclipse to be able to message other users?
  16. snowymassbowtie

snowymassbowtie Member

If you do decide to buy your own truck, dont buy a truck with a plow on it. You dont know what its been thru,better off buying a 1 owner personally used truck and put a blade on it. When you look for a plow buy from a dealer that is close to you where you can get service and parts,check for reviews on them. Look at what type of plows are used in your area to get an idea of whats local. What name brand isnt as important as finding a good dealer.
    You can do what your asking with a half ton but make sure it has plow prep. In your glove box there is a sticker,look for the code "VYU" thats the code for plow prep for GM trucks,dont know the other 2. Getting a 3/4 or 1 ton would be better.Ive been using GM`s for almost 25 years had no major break downs,just typical maintenance tires and brakes. All manufacturers have their issues.
  17. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Normally I would never say get a 1/2 ton for plowing. But with your small amount of plowing and using it for deliveries - I don't think you need a 3/4 ton.

I have always liked GM trucks
  18. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Quality - you have to be a member for something like two weeks and have 10 posts. I left you a public message in your personal folder which you can get two by just clicking on your name. My phone number is there or just email me at major@veteransllc.us
  19. QualityNY

QualityNY Junior Member

Thanks MajorDave.
  20. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Agreed, but no matter what truck you have... what about a backup truck? I used to plow only about 8 driveways with no backup truck and was constantly worried about a break-down (I mean big breakdown... I maintain my vehicles, fabricate, weld, etc and I was still worried), even though it never happened. Yea, A couple friends I know have plows, but they are booked solid most storms.

Something to consider when doing your own lot.

I agree 100%, I would never buy a truck with a plow. Buy truck, good used plow.

BTW, I see the original poster decided on hiring someone, which can either be really cheap, or really expensive here on Long Island... there is little in-between!