1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

advice needed on plow selection

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by krafty1958, Dec 8, 2007.

1. krafty1958

krafty1958 Junior Member

I am in the market for a plow. Many years ago I did a fair amount of plowing.I grew up on a resort in MN. I helped run a ice fishing business so some days we plowed all day long.I kept a truck and a large V-blade and a 8' Western plow when the business was sold. This worked well at home for my personal needs. The truck was aging very fast as were the plows. I had a good offer from another Ice fishing business so sold the truck and plows. I have been getting by with a ATV plow and and garden tractor with blower........but its getting really really old, lots of time spent and not alot of snow moved. I have decided to purchase a new plow. Wow have they changed since the 80's....lol. After much looking I think I'm more confused now than before I started looking. I have a 1 ton Dodge pick-up with a cummins diesel,so I have enough truck.I have kinda narrowed it down to 3 choices. Not in any special order but here is what I like. Boss XT B82VX, Western 8'6" poly MPV plus,9850Hiniker. I seem to like them all but at the cost of them today, I'd appreciate some help from those that know way more about them than I before I spend that much and regret it later.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

All three of those will do just fine, but I'd go with the Boss 1st, Western 2nd and Hiniker 3rd. I've never owned any of them, but lot's of guys on here swear by Boss and it would be my second choice if I didn't already have a Fisher Minute Mount on my 2004 Ram. If it's just for personal use it will last forever.

3. Grizzly290

Grizzly290 Junior Member

Hello, I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, and I just bought the 8'6" MVP plus. I have had good luck with Western & Fisher, so I wanted one of those. Turns out that both of their V-plows are pretty much the same. They are owned by the same company. I have not plowed snow with it yet, so I can't comment on that, but it seems like a nice heavy duty plow. Some dealers may not allow that heavy of a plow, because of the weight of the Cummins engine. But my dealer had no problem with it. My truck seems to carry it fine, but I will definitley be adding plenty of ballast. Also, if your 1-Ton has dual wheels, you may want a 9'6" plow, to cover the extra width of the dualie.

4. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

Boss. I have friends with fisher,curtis,and strangers tell me how high and quick my blade moves.I helped my brothers last week put a fisher on last week,took 3 of us to do it.

5. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

See if you have an arctic dealer locally , I own one and I have had a western and a myers and this arctic is better then both .. and is usually 1k cheaper ..

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'll vote for the bossV,you can save a little and skip getting the xt
    the regular V is just as good.

Hiniker 2nd.

7. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Boss by far. I've owned fisher, and boss. Boss hands down beats the fisher. Go on their website and watch the videos of why they're better, and I've found, from experience, they're all true. Good luck!

8. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

never had a problem with my fisher. installed it by myself in a couple hours or three hours, mostly took that long because i'm pretty OCD about how neat it is done. but he's not interested in a fisher anyway. from the list of choices i would also say boss. ive only seen a couple hinikers and maybe a couple westerns around here, and the rigging didn't look all that rugged. i would say look for the one that is built the strongest, not the one that makes your truck look better when there is or isnt a plow attached to it.