1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on buying a skid steer at auction

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by jfp2673, Sep 7, 2013.

1. jfp2673

jfp2673 Junior Member
    from texas

Does anyone have any advice on buying a 2 year old skid steer at an auction house? I have been looking at a few machines that have between 3 and 4 hundred hours on them. Is that a low enough hours on them to not have any problems? Does anyone have any experience with purchasing from Mcgrew equipment auction in PA? Thanks
  2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I will say on my new holland at 300 hours my turbo went
    Various lines blew
    My main computer board went
    She blew smoke while running
    So even at 300 hours stuff can still go wrong
  3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Have been to a few of their auctions but haven't found that deal I have been looking for. I don't know about buying online and not being able to check it out first. At the auction you can look them over, see and hear them run. In the end McGrews, IMO, seem to be a good business to deal with.
  4. jfp2673

jfp2673 Junior Member
    from texas

Thanks for the advice, I hope the repairs that happened on that new holland are rare at 300 hours, that was the second brand I have been looking at.
  5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I have had 3 and hate them I love my bobcats
  6. jfp2673

jfp2673 Junior Member
    from texas

Thanks for the information on the new holland. There is a 2005 bobcat s160 for sale near me with 1665 hours on it. I just was not sure with that many hours on it how long it would remain reliable, it also has the joystick controls and aux hyd and keyless start. Do you have any experience with an s160?
  7. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Small machine
    Bobcats are good till 4000 plus hours
    My older new holland was better than my new ones
    What are you using it for and how much are you looking to spend
  8. jfp2673

jfp2673 Junior Member
    from texas

I am looking for a machine to clean up brick and rock and some grading on my jobsites. That machine is for sale for $16900.
  9. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

I do. Be very, very careful. I purchased a Terex Loader/backhoe from them in "excellent running condition." When it arrived, we couldn't even get it off the trailer because of frozen hydraulics. Had to flush and change. No brakes, busted mirror, busted glass, excessive water in engine oil and tranny.

Bottom Line: 12k in repairs. Oh, I've gotten it operational...but it still needs work to be "excellent." The putzes at McGrew offered me only 5k after I filed a complaint with the PA DOJ. I am still pursuing that.

Bottom line: they're salesman. Don't believe anything they say, just what they write (with a huuuge grain of salt). And do your own thorough inspection and testing of the equipment before spending any real money. An engine, tranny or brakes can be fried in 100 hours by some putz that abuses the equipment, or puts the wrong fluids in.
  10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I bought my 2012 Gehl 5240 this spring it had 146 hrs on it I paid 27k that was 10k less then a new one I still have 3 year warranty to and loaded
    But I bought this at a Bobcat dealer he wanted to get it off his lot
    My brother son bought a S160 for his Construction business He bought one with 300 hours and paid less then 16k his is plain jane but does have joy stick, low flow hook ups
  11. jfp2673

jfp2673 Junior Member
    from texas

Wow, sorry to hear about such a bad experience with that auction company. You just convinced me its worth a plane ticket to check out any machine for sale.
  12. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I can tell you so many horror stories about the bad equipment we have gotten
    As a mechanic I will tell you....go inspect it. Pull off the air filter,,,look into the intake pipe. If its got one look at the turbo. What's the "belly" look like? What's "all" the fluids look like? Yea salesmen won't tell you all that
  13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

For the price range you should be able to buy local and save any auction fees
  14. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Just make sure whatever brand you buy has good dealer support in your area.