1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice needed for Northern N.H.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by capt caper, Oct 4, 2004.

1. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

My wife is transferred to the Littleton area so were moving. What can I do to make money with the plow. F350 7.3 8ft. Fisher.

Should I try to get private accounts or is there any companys subcontracting trucks? I plowed with the state of Ma. only these past 5 years so I'm going to go though some learning curves I guess. N.H. doesn't use private contractors I believe.

Jim

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

HUGE SNOW DIFFERENCE between cape cod area and northern NH to say the least. I don't know much about the snowplow market up there but 99% of residentials have someone plow thier driveway, they get way too much snow to shovel all the time. The people seem to have one plow guy that they have been using for years, always on a regular basis because snow literally changes thier lifestyle for 4-5 months there. I would think it might (JMO) be hard to break into the residential market up there, i could be completly wrong though.

3. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

It's like that here too I think. It would take a long time to get good accounts. That's why I went with the state here since I just got into plowing in 99 and needed some bucks.

But like anywhere it can be done. Just takes awhile. People come and go. As long as I got my own plow. :cool:

4. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Littleton is a fast growing area, there should be some residential stuff around but the commercial is pretty well locked up by a couple of bigger guys that have been around for years. My advice as a small company is throw an ad in the paper and pick up the scraps there are plenty around

5. capt caper

capt caper Senior Member

thanks steve