1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice: Ford F150 and Western HTS

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Colorado1, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Colorado1

Colorado1 Junior Member

Looking for advice on my truck and plow choice.
    I am looking to buy a 2001 to 2004 Ford F150 and put a new Western HTS on it.
    I live in the foothill outside of Denver and have to plow my 1/2 mile dirt driveway.
    I will be using the truck for other light hauling and truck stuff. I would like to stay with the 1/2 ton because there as so many available and kids will probably drive it around with mountain bikes in the summer.

Typical season is 6 to 10 days of 8" very light snow and 3 to 4 days of heavy wet snow in the spring. Hope to keep this truck and for 10 to 15 years.

Engine 4.6 or 5.4?
    Above what milage should I avoid?
    Do I need to beef up front end?
    Any other suggestions?

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

1/2 mile is quite a bit for any 1/2 ton IMO. I would sugest a 3/4 ton. But if you want a 1/2 ton the Ford F-150 will work. The 5.4 is your best bet. I also would sugest a Western Mid Weight instead of an HTS.
  3. lukynskywyrd

lukynskywyrd Member
    from wisc.

HTS is a great choice....

I have had 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008 and now 2009 F150 all great trucks. The 2001 has a 4.6 still going strong at 160K never plowed with however. The 2000 had a Western Pro 7' 6", 5.4L and as I recall the upgraded load capacity and was a great plow truck. Visibilty and comfort were great. However I would suggest adding a Daystar 2" leveling kit to the front. This will keep the front level as these trucks have a 2/3" drop front to back when they come off the assembly line. I have never had issues with the front ends, the FX4 option wont give you any added benefit but a 5.4L will. There was a 2004 Crew Cab XLT w/ 98000 miles and a new Western HTS at a dealer here in the Milwaukee area recently. The truck was never plowed with and they were asking $18500 about a month ago...its gone. Alot of guys bought them just to have a truck and never really worked them hard so you should be able to find one that was never rode hard.
  4. Colorado1

Colorado1 Junior Member

Thanks for input.

Thank you for the input it has been very helpful. I saw a friends Western HTS yesterday and it does look a bit frail.

I found a used 2000 F150 7700 that might work well and I could put the Western pro plow on it. I am a bit concerned that Ford only made the 7700 for a few years and I might have a tough time finding parts. The truck has a 5.4 with 130,000 miles.

Has anyone put the Pro Plow on a regular F150 or am I looking for trouble?

A few people have recommended the Boss plow. I know nothing about them but we do have a good Western and Boss dealers in Denver. I like the way the receiver brackets on the Western can be removed when plow won’t be used for a while.

Thanks for any input. It is great how you experienced guys help out us novices.
  5. fatboyNJ

fatboyNJ Senior Member
    from NJ

i have a 2001 f150 that i plow with..i have a 7.6 standadrd unimount...my truck is lifted 6 inches and i used the ultra truck side with conversion so i was able to lower it back down so its just about perfect....and my truck squats barely an inch with plow up...

i have a loaded supercrew 5.4 and winter here was 4 storms of 18+ and my truck didnt skip a beat...

too bad you are so far away cuz my truck is gonna be up for sale in a few days