1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for purchasing new plow

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by IL Ram, Sep 3, 2008.

1. IL Ram

IL Ram Junior Member
    from IL

I have a 2008 Dodge 2500 Heavy Duty Quad Cab with a Hemi and I would like to buy a plow for personal use and maybe an occasional residential customer. I would like to know any recommendations on which brand and style of plow would be a good fit for this truck and type of plowing. After only a little research I was considering a 7'6" Western Pro. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

read up on the mega cab issue , and i dont know about the ext cab

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

With an extended cab, seriously consider an 8 ft over the 7.6. Makes plowing with the longer truck easier in confined spaces like residential. You'll quickly become accustom to the slight width advantage over the 7.5.

Never seen or heard of any problems with the E-cabs..Hemi or Cummins.

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i would go with a snoway....... lots of models and you can get light duty to med duty or whatever you want....i would go with a 7.5 or 8'.....

5. IL Ram

IL Ram Junior Member
    from IL

I don't think there are any issues with the Quad Cab. I ordered the truck with the Heavy Duty Snow Plow Prep Group and they don't offer that on the Mega Cab that I know of because I don't think they recommend plowing with the Mega Cab.

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

dont trust what they offer as a plow prep pakage, somewear in the fine print will say this vehical sould not be used in conjuction with a snow plow... regaurdless of if they offer the pakage...

i do think your ok , with your style/type, just make sure to do you homework. Reg cab trucks are best

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

7'6" is way too small. Go with an 8' or 8'6".

8. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Can you back up that claim? Being a Dodge owner with the Lifetime Warrenty, I've been through the doco with the dealer about every which way... The snow plow prep group is intended for those who will plow with the vehicle. Lifetime coverage is not offered for those who will plow commercially.

And to the OP - I have that same set up with the 8' box. I bought a 9'2" Boss VXT. That's for plowing about 3/4 of a mile worth of dirt mountain road where we got about 330" last season.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  9. elite1msmith

from chicago

i plow commercialy so i dont know what the difference would be, i dont have any warrentys on my trucks, but from just about every dealer in this area, and all brands , with and without a "plow package" i have seen problems that were fought over...

i dont know how you would ever prove the difference between plowing commecially and plowing your own... unless its based on the name of who its purchased under, like a business. regaurdless my trucks go under my name. and dont kid your self, the plow prep package, is just an add on, too make them more money.. yes the bigger ALT is nice, along with the springs, but i have seen it before, go both ways, i dont trust sales persons, at dealers at all, for there knowlege on what dodge will or will not cover. the best way would be to call a dodge warrenty rep himself and get it in writing

and yes im a proud owner of multiple dodge cummis. and have been for many years

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

what Dodge writes and what they do are 2 different things. A friend of mine a few yrs ago bought 2500 and put a plow on it. He had to take it in for service and they won't going to cover the work because they said he was plowing with it.

Here's the kicker, He bought the truck in July and the plow in Sept. neither even saw snow yet!

11. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

well doesnt it serve its purpose then:dizzy:

12. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Interesting... I think that'll be a tougher argument for them to make with me, as the dealer sold me the plow - the thing is on the contract and included in the financing. Wouldn't put it past 'em to try though.... :gunsfiring:

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

well heres the deal... you might still have an issue with dodge as they do the warrenty claims not the dealer... it just depends.... however, i would tell the dealer, that you sold th eplow, and installed it , so if dodge doesnt cover it , you (dealer) better - or you can talk to my attorney - this is if you ever have a problem

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

well yes the larger ALT and springs due serve their purpose ,

but that doesnt nessesary aurthorize the truck to have a plow on it.

I think it sucks,

i think its grounds for a law suit,

i dont think its right,

i think if you offer a plow prep package , then that itself is what oks having one... but dont argue with me,.. take it up with dodge,/ford/chevy... iv seen it on all brands

15. Mowman62531

Mowman62531 Member

My truck has the plow prep package and it handles the 9 1/2 MVP just fine. I used to have a 7.5 straight blade and I will never go back. Basically, the MVP helps me when I am coming into a drive and the township plows have piled up the snow 2 to 3 foot deep at the end of the drive. That snow gets hard as a rock and a straight blade gets pushed to one side or another, a V plows right on thru. I absolutely love it!

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I've had warranty replacement trannies in 2 differant trucks, a Dakota and a Ram full size. Both had plows, warranty covered them both. Two differant dealers, but the dealer makes all the differance. What will dodge know except what the dealer tells them?

Go with an eight foot blade what ever plow you by.

17. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Holy getting off topic Batman. I agree with Mick, a 7 1/2 ft is too small. a friend of mine has a Dodge Quad cab shortbed with a cummins diesel. He ended up getting a 8ft Blizzard. One main reason for the Blizzard is that dealer was the only one who would mount it for him. The Fisher, Western and Boss dealers said they would'nt. So far he's happy with it. Just look for a dealer who you get along with and is going to be there for you in a pinch. Not plowing commercial might put you to the back of the list if something happens to it.

18. IL Ram

IL Ram Junior Member
    from IL

Thank you to all for the advice so far. What are some of the specific uses and advantages of the V plows versus straight blades? Mowman gave one example that seems to make sense, are their others? Is it worth the extra money due to the fact that I won't be plowing commercially?

Thanks.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Vees will increase your productivity by 30%, they are move manuverable then straight blades and can be the bomb in driveways. They allow you to slide piles of snow from one place to another, and make clean up a breeze.

20. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not in my opinion.