1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

advice for plowing;please help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rossyardservice, Dec 22, 2008.

1. rossyardservice

rossyardservice Junior Member

HI everyone, I have a fisher plow with the carbide edge, and the plow does rest on the ground when down.I don't have skids on the plow, and I am wondering why when I plow, I cant get down to the pavement (it leaves about a half inch of snow on the ground). My question was, Is this normal, and everyone else salts heavily, or is there some adjustments to make, maybe get a metal edge? thanks a lot
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Pretty normal if your trying to plow compacted snow.

But if the snow is really wet...you should be scraping down to the pavement easy.
  3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Is there enough slack in the chain? Maybe the cylinder is all the way down and the chain is holding it off the ground
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

yup...didn't think of that.

On a flat surface with the blade down there should be at least 3 inches of cylinder ram showing, depending on what kind of terrain you are plowing.

That way, should your blade need to drop below the level of your tires on your truck..(entries, exits, some drives) your chain lift cylinder will drop those 3 inches you put in your chain..:nod:
  5. rbergevine

rbergevine Member

Pretty normal. Depends on the snow as stated. Look around the area you will see compacted base coats everywhere in lots (that are not salted). We got blasted this weekend with a fast and furious snow and hard pack base was the norm. Good luck,
  6. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

we had this on frday night on my route. for sunday it was wet/heavy and pre-salted so it scraped down to bare pavement nice
    i have the same plow/cutting edge as you as well.
    my drives which are more packed down it will leave a little bit behind as well
  7. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

normal, only time your going to plow it perfect is when we get really wet snow and that usually plows leaving noting but pavement. And if you salt like crazy that works too
  8. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

Every Fisher plow I have ever owned (6+) never scraped as well as Western, or Myers. It has to be the design. The only reason I run Fisher is the dealer is walking distance from my house and the nearest Western dealer is 1 hr away.
  9. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Is the plow frame mounted at the propper hieght? IF it isn't a bad cutting angle could be the cause of your headache.
  10. 1pfieffer1

1pfieffer1 Junior Member

My SnoWay scrapes to pavement every time, even hard packed snow. Down pressure is a godsend. I set the shoes to keep the cutting edge just a hair above the surface for gravel and if I need to scrape I hit the down pressure which tips the blade just enough to put the cutting edge down tight. Maybe you have the wrong brand of plow..............xysport
  11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

How much of your wearbar do you have left? After they get wore down quite a bit, they don't cut as well.