1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

advice for plow on 08 f150?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by 08f150, Dec 30, 2008.

1. 08f150

08f150 Member

I have a 2008 F150 with the crew cab with the short bed. Been thinking about getting a plow just to do 4 driveways, not commercial. I know they don't recommend anything other than a suburbanite or homesteader. Does anybody have any experience with these? If in fact I do put one of these on will it severely screw up my truck?
    Any advice would be great, thanks!
    ~John

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

used properly they wont hurt your truck. i would buy a snow way or other light plow.
    not a suburbanite or homesteader. we have nothing but problems with them.

3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

4. 08f150

08f150 Member

Thanks for the advice...I was also looking at snoway, just wasnt sure exactly which one to get. Someone else I spoke to was hesitant to put the plow on a crew cab. Is it not recommended for some reason or does it just have to do with weight ratings? Thanks!

5. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

I got and 04 f150, added spacers for lift 2 1/2" and a set of timbrens on front, with a Curtis Trip Edge Approx weight 750lbs on nose with about 500Lbs on tail end... And works awesome for a 4.6, figured the bigger plow would be handy when it's time to trade trucks...

Image005.jpg

6. Captain

Captain Senior Member

I have the 7' 4" Homesteader on my Ford Explorer. We just got our first storms this past weekend. I plowed my 17 driveway route 3 times. The plow worked great. I'm happy with it so far, we have another storm tomorrow, and then another coming on the weekend.

7. slowhand11404

slowhand11404 Junior Member

I'm using a SnowDogg MD68 on my 06 F150 Supercrew - so far so good!!!!

8. stecar

stecar Junior Member

O8F150---I am6 in northern NJ myself and I have a fischer homesteader for sale. If you want call me 201-602-4590

9. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

7'6" fisher ld plow
    little bigger than the homesteader but not too big

10. Sno-Way. It's light and if you go for the downpressure option, it's magic! I have one for my ranger and it's pretty cool.

11. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

08 f-150?

2008 Cadillac & 2008 Ford 011.jpg

2008 Cadillac & 2008 Ford 008.jpg
    Here are a coupla pics of my 08 with a 26 series Sno-Way w/dp and wireless remote. I LOVE IT!! I have no ballast in the truck in these pics , but I put 700# in the bed and it levels it out nice. If you can find one now you won't be sorry. Thanks Jack in WI

2008 Cadillac & 2008 Ford 011.jpg

2008 Cadillac & 2008 Ford 008.jpg

12. 08f150

08f150 Member

I'm leaning towards sno way, I really have only heard good about them. I'm tryin to find a slightly used one. The sno way rep reccomended a 26 series...I was looking on their website and I'm trying to figure out the difference between the 26 series and the MT. Is the 26 series with the 2 point mount?
    Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

13. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

The 26 series has the two pin system,very easy to hook up.
    If your gonna do driveways the downpressure is great for that,and is a sno-way only option.
    26 series weighs about 450lbs for the poly.
    This is the second 26 iv owned,had one on a dakota a few years ago.

Mike

14. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

f-150

I put a Western Midweight Poly On my 06 F-150, super cab 5.4. Plow weighs only 540#, and the truck handles it just fine. Pushes snow easily, taking in consideration this is a light duty truck, and a standard duty plow, but not a "small plow". Everything you'd need for a handful of driveways or your company's lot. The UltraMount system is so easy.....a monkey can do it!!!

www.westernplows.com/ultramount.asp

You should check to see which manufacturers are distributed locally. (which parts are easier to get!!!)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  15. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

pelt35,

you should put Timbrens on the front of that thing! Truck will ride more level and safer b/c the truck will not bounce/bottom out when you go over bumps. And it doesn't affect your ride quality when the plow is off.

16. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

Pelt35 - great pics :nod:

OP, I have a Sno-way 26 and it's a great plow for a light-duty truck.