1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for Plow Emergency Lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Mattymax, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Mattymax

Mattymax Junior Member
    from Nj

My truck is a 2008 Ford F-350 single cab 8' bed. Plow with salter.

I need some warning lights or light and need some advice on what to get. Will a single mini bar on the top of my dump insert be enough ? What about a single beacon ? I kinda like either one. LED Beacon is kinda cool with maybe two small surface mount lights on either side of the dump. I am trying to get away without doing grille lights or hide aways so I don't have to modify light tail lights/head lights

What are you guys running ?
  2. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

I run a inside dash flasher in the top center of the windshield, a whelen beacon on my back rack in the middle both run off of the cig plug and in the back I have a back-up buddy that strobes as well.
    I think your truck would go well with a mini light bar on the top of the dump insert and maybe some flush mounts if you wanted. A mini gets 360 around your truck pretty well.
  3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

A single beacon should be more than enough for drivers to see you. When you're driving around and night with people plowing and you notice a truck's lights easily when approaching them, then that's pretty much the type of light you would want to get. I personally never see truck's flashing grill lights or headlights or taillights unless I'm right next to them, but I can see the flashing beacons far away, which gives me enough warning that someone's working over there and to watch out as I get closer.
  4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I'm sure you'll get all sorts of responses ranging from adding 35 blinky lights on every flat (and some curved) surface to a single round beacon on the roof. BTW, all are correct - for the person that posted their opinion.

Personally, I like to keep things simple and focus on what's really important with warning lights - warning other drivers. (Not blinding them or sending them into seizures.) In that vein, we run roof (magnet) mounted mini bars on all 10 of our Super Duties - that's it. We save the rest of the money we could have sunk into lights for the stuff that makes us money, like good plows and preventative maintenance.