1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

advice for new guy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by daveintoledo, Oct 26, 2005.

1. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

started lawn care last year, have 25 ustomers, need to keep some income flowing, picked the 5 closest customers with small driveways and walkways and sold them on snow removal.....

cant afford a pow this year, but at 35 bucks a customer, i can make good money in the am and work again in the evening....

have to get snow blower in the truck, want to get a bigger 2 stage but i cant lift tha dang thig in and out of the truck bed....

any suggestions please

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Get a couple of ramps.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

i did think of that

but thought it might be tough when things are wet and slippery, but if thats what i got to do, i will... thanks

4. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i have 2"x10" pressure treated ramps i made, they are 9 foot long and work fine with my 32" blower. I have chains on the tires so they grip the wood alittle more than regular tires. Overall the (2) 10' P-treated 2x10's and the metal ramp brakets i bought at home depot ran me about $70..cheaper but heavier then the aluminum ones.

5. westwind

westwind Member

Decking tape always works. Kinda like skateboard tape on top. Resin adhesive with a sandpaper feel. Put this on your ramps.

6. gpfarrell

gpfarrell Junior Member

I've coated my ramps with driveway sealer... $9 gets you 5 gallons of the black gooey stuff and you'll have 4 1/2 left over... look for the kind with friction added and you might as well do all sides of the ramps to help seal them too.

7. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

A possible option is the hitch reciever mounted carrier.

All different sizes and some places carry ones that are heavy duty....

Just a thought...

All_Clear

basket_carriers.jpg

8. lumps

lumps Senior Member

i got one of the ramp kits for 2x8's, and it came with rough metal plates that go on the wood for traction. never had a problem, even when the ramps get covered in packed snow.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Just paint them with with a slip proof paint like i used on my trailer ramp, the stuff is great, you just add one container of it to a gallon of paint and it becomes a non slip surface. Its made by rustoleum and i got it at HD. I use my trailer now to cart my snowblower around until i can get a truck and plow next year. But, thats just what i would do in your situation. Just my .02! Good Luck

10. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Paint your ramps with anything you want then before it is dry cover them with sand. Cant get any cheaper then that.

I like the idea of the hitch reciever mounted carrier.

11. makplow

makplow Senior Member

friendly advise

Hi dave , I don`t know how yor finances are, but if you can finance a plow this year. It might pay for itself. then if you have your truck lettered you`ll get a lot of exposer for your landscaping in the spring. good luck on what ever you decide:salute:

12. Swinn

Swinn Member

E-bay usually has some ramps. You can get a set of curved aluminum ramps that look like ladder rungs. They give you some place to hook your boots on instead of a flat surface. They work for well for just about anything with wheels just get the longest ones you can. Here is some common sense advice go up in reverse and down forwards.

13. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

\
    I thought of that too...But then I thought, whatever's on that deck is gonna get loaded with salt & dirt from the road :dizzy:

14. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Why not find a place that has a slight incline15 - 20 degrees,,,lower your tailgate and use those homemade ramps, only I would use a sheet of 3/4 " cdx-- cut to 6', then load the blower in/walk it right up--you'll need a cleat so the thing doesn't fall out as you walk up it--no need to worry bout sliding off one side--slide it to the front then push the plywood in n-go--you do have a 8' bed I take it.:cool:

15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just another idea - In addition to ramps, how about a chain hoist. Hook it to the snowblower and the front of the bed and pull the snowblower in. No worry about it sliding off, slipping backwards etc.

16. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Maybe buy a snowblower with tracks??? and put a few cleats on the 2"x8" ramps?