1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for a rookie

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Illini Pete, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Illini Pete

Illini Pete Junior Member

Hey Y'all,

I've already learned far more information about snow removal in only a few days of reading your posts than I ever knew existed! I've been a city boy whose only experience with snow removal has been shoveling about 50 ft of sidewalk, but I'm considering purchase of a place in the country with a lot more to tend to than that. It includes a gravel drive about 600 ft long, relatively flat, about half straight with two gentle curves, 2 short turnouts to a machine shed, with a parking/turnaround area about 40 ft x 60 ft). Would you recommend mounting a blade or a snow thrower on a yet-to-be-purchased lawn tractor, or a plow on my '95 4x4 Tacoma which is my daily driver, or a plow on my FJ40 Land Cruiser (4x4 with automatic locker in the rear). Both my 4x4s have 31" x 10.50 A/T tires but I'll probably be putting 33x12.50 M/T on the Cruiser. I expect to purchase a lawn tractor because I'll have about 1.5 acres to mow so I like that option but don't want to get something that would be overwhelmed by the snow removal. I expect to use the equipment 3 or 4 times per average winters with a maximum snowfall of about 10" - 12", every few years. It's windy here in the prairie so I expect drifts up to 2 or 3 ft.

Any advice on brands if that question is kosher here?

Thanks guys,
    Pete

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

First, stick with one of the trucks. Leave the lawn tractor for the lawn - IT GETS COLD PUSHING SNOW.

Second decide for sure if you'll be doing only your own drive or MIGHT do some of your neighbors. That'll make a difference on the type of plow setup I'd recommend.

3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

No snowthrower! That will be a nightmare on a gravel drive. If it were me I would go with a plow on the Tacoma. Since you won't use it that often it won't do any harm to your vehicle. Buy a plow brand with a dealer that is close to you just in case you need help with service.