1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

advice 4 old dog

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by wiskdb43, Oct 13, 2011.

1. wiskdb43

wiskdb43 Junior Member

Need to put a plow on my 01 1500 Dodge 4x4. I was thinking I wanted the all steel 8ft 614lb hinicker but one particular fella tells me to stick with the 7.5 poly mid weight at 460lbs.
    This is just for my residential gravel driveway which is roughly 1000ft long. First 700ft can get some tough drifts like what happened last winter. Just want to make the right decision thanks for any advice you can give this old dog that's a green horn when it comes to snow plows.
  2. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

The 8' would be fine for doing your own driveway. I had my 8' on a 1500 chevy before, and it handled it alright. If you plan on doing several driveways or commercial I would highly reccomend steping up to a 3/4 ton truck.
    The Hinikers are easy to put on and take off, so take it off the truck when you are not plowing and it will save lots of wear and tare on your truck.
  3. mikes-plow

mikes-plow Senior Member

i have a 01 1500 chevy with the 8 ft steel hiniker and plow about 15 drives with it. truck handles it fine for now lol. you just have to use your head and be smart about it. definitely going to upgrade to a bigger truck next year though. for just a couple of drives you should be fine.