1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by FAST87BIRD, Jun 21, 2009.

FAST87BIRD Junior Member
    from akron

Hey guys im a smaller company trying to grow. I have gotten the bidding and contracting stuff down now. But what I am having trouble with is how to go about looking for more jobs. There is alot of property management companies around where I am at, and want to pick up work from them. How can I go about this? Would I send a letter telling them who I am and what I would like to do for them? any suggestions would be great. Thanks
  2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

email and see who bites. Talk in person is probably the best.

Make sure you know what you are talking about. Make sure you have the equipment to handle their jobs.

What I did back in the day was go to the biggest one. The one I knew I wouldn't get. Talk the them and see what kind of questions they were asking and requirements for the job. When I made a fool of my self, it didn't matter, because I didn't want it in the first place. It was a learning experience.
  3. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

As far as commercial jobs, you can always submit a request to bid, to various properties around your area. If they reply at least they are interested a little and at a minimum you have their contact info.

For advertising, professional appearance counts. Mailbox letters on the side of your truck or hand written flyers, is a no no. Enlist the help of a good graphic designer, and make some nice stuff up. It may be more costly but remember its an investment.
  4. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

That is the million dollar question!

I am sure you will get a lot of good ideas on the site. If you want to take advantage of a couple items that we offer as a sponsor of this site, let me know.

I have a few items that you may be interested in.
    1) Manual - Marketing and Advertising that covers the many aspects of marketing and advertising. Also included in this manual are techniques to use in a slow or down economy.

2) CD- Snow & Ice Templates in Microsoft word format that includes sample contracts, route sheets, who's first, hours of operation, sample invoices and what needs to be included, proposal formats and much more.

3) CD - Marketing and Advertising includes over 33 templates that can be used as they are or as a framework to develop your own. They include templates for mowing, landscaping, snow and many other lawn and landscaping services.

Please visit our website at www.profitsareus.com or call me at 800-845-0499 to answer any questions. Being a plowsite sponsor and a full service contractor myself since 1979, I understand what you are looking for.

Have a great day.
  5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Email, and letters are a waste of time in my opinion, knocking on doors, and persistent phone calls are the best in my experience
  6. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Either PM or email me & I'll be more than happy to share my methods with you.
  7. EPS

EPS Member

I am getting back into the plowing business this winter and was wondering if you could share some advertising that works for you? Should I start trying to get customers now because I know of some major companies around here send there contract renewals out in August. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  8. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Vinyl signs are the hot ticket, definately,,,they show a good level of professionalism and are pretty inexspensive I get 40 for 200 some odd bucks.