1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

advertising

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by larold83, May 21, 2009.

1. larold83

larold83 Senior Member

when do most of you start advertising like flyers and door hangers. i work for scotts lawn service you know the scotts turf builder you buy at lowe's of walmart well anyways i get laid off in the winter so i got all the time in the world to plow. oh and how effective are door hangers cuz i saw a guy walking around in april in state college were i travel to to do lawns and he was going up and down the street put them on the doors how effective is this theory and what is the most effective ways of advertising without going broke

2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Start with word of mouth with your friends and family. Put business name and phone number on your truck. Yellow pages work. Web pages work. Radio, news paper, Craigs List, etc. No one is thinking about snow plowing this time of year except the people on Plow Site.

3. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

wondered about this aswell

4. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

It depends on what type of plowing you are going to do. If residential then do the door hangers, however you should expect to only get 2-3% of people calling. I would recommend you put something on there that if they sign up now they get a discount or something like that as a hook. If not, 99.99% of people will just throw them out. Like was said before, for the average person snow plowing is the furthest thing from their mind in June. Maybe wait til September to go after residentials..

For commercial accounts,I start bidding in June and this is what I have found to work for me:
    Call and ask if they are interested in a bid.-Saves you time, but gives them the chance to say no.
    Just stop in and give them a bid.
    Craigslist
    Website and advertise on google. This can be very good, but it may also cost more than anything else.

I am no advertising or marketing guru, and other may disagree, but like I said, this is what I have found works for me.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What? Your not already booked up?