1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by LawnProLandscapes, Jan 3, 2008.

1. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

Do i need to get any permission to place flyers in mail boxes? or would i be better off just mailing out letters with flyers in them with a business card? i know its late in the year but just want to get a few more accounts.. also i plan on placing an ad in the local newspaper for a couple weeks and hopefully putting some signs on my truck will get some people calling...
  2. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

fed offense puttin them in mail boxes. thats whats postage is for. id put them on cars at a shopping center. or find a nice day and get little baggies with your card and pebbles and throw them on peoples drives. but with the effort you semm to want to put forth id fin a couple commerical lots and forget the residentials. just my couple cents for ya
  3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I think that residentials are a good way to get started. Just make sure you price them high enough. Set yourself a minimum, and don't go below that, with a few exceptions of course, like good neighbors or friends. This time of year, after all the snow that's been falling, people are going to be looking for someone to replace their plower who only plowed for beer money and had to call it quits, because plowing got too expensive for them. On the other hand, some people may be getting sick of all the shoveling and just want to hire someone to do it. Good luck.
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

This late in the season I would put an ad in the paper. Most people calling will be on-call pushes that may lead to full time stuff next year. Just do a good job for whoever calls and word of mouth will help you next year. JMO
  5. Gil

Gil Junior Member

Talk with your town board

If you live in a small town or rural area - you can give your name to the town board. In our township - they keep names and numbers of people who do all sorts of services in the area. That includes snow removal, waste removal, tree cutting, lawn services, hauling junk, etc., etc.

This might be a good place to get your name and service - you might be surprised how many people will contact you.
  6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Craigslist. I didn't think it would work but I got 19 drives off it this year.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

That's sooo wierd...I'm not 25 miles from you and I didn't get one account from craigslist...got one "cleanup" though...this guy was using his atv plow to do a 350 ft driveway and it got way outa hand...cleaned it up with a few pushes for $50...What's your secret for craigslist success???
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Wanted:Will pay to plow your driveway!
  9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think its illegal to attach something to the outside of the mailbox like the newspapers in a plastic bag that gets hung on the latch. I'm almost positive that you can do something like that. I've also had people make a magnetic business card and stick them to mailbox doors so when you get your mail you see the card, take it inside and put it on your refrigerator.
  10. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

If it touches the mailbox it needs postage in the US. I delivered papers years ago and we always would get charged postage even if we just hung them on the bottom of the mailbox using the hooks. I would check for legal issues if your going to be doing it that way!
  11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Yes. This holds true for not only th mailbox but any part of the stand or pole it is on. When you see these small private advertisement newspapers hung on a nail on th box - it is illegal. This has been discussed on here and on LS many times, and the actual federal law has been pasted on here.