1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by RayGauthier, Dec 20, 2005.

1. RayGauthier

RayGauthier Member

My question is advertising !!
    Ok I've put out flyers and put up a web site does anyone know or have advice on haw to get your name out ? I've been at this for two years now doing ok. I have two trucks and one is out all the time but the other is sitting there would like at have both of them running. The one truck is for the one time caller's when we get alot of snow but I can't seem to get enought contracts to keep that truck running.
    small company need help !!!!
  2. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Advertising~ :dizzy:

Probably the most important yet unpredictable aspect of running a business. Ive tried a number of things, newspapers, flyers, banners, signs, and several other ways. Honestly, I believe they can all be great, if the timing is right.

I just spend $500 bucks to run an ad in the neswpaper for 4 weeks. 3 weeks in September, which got not one call. And one this past week, which also yeild nodda. Now had it of snowed last week like it was suppose to, I think I would have recieved several call.

Flyers, door to door, posted at markets, and wherever else you stick them, yield fair - good results.

Word of mouth, is probably the best most reliable way. Web sites are great too. I have ours listed with Verizons online yellow pages. The phone book is another great place you'll want to be. I get a number of inquiries just off the street with the advertisments on my trucks.

I guess it really comes down to a little bit of as much variety as you can afford. Theirs really no one single method thats going to bring in a ton of customers. A lot may have to do with the area you service too.

Sorry I couldnt give you the answer you wanted, this has just been my experience.
  3. RayGauthier

RayGauthier Member

Thanks for Everything

I can use anything you guys are will to type !!!
    I'm in a small town (military) I am getting good call but not enought to get my other truck going (with contracts)
    thanks and if you can think of anything I am willing to read !!!!!!
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Put phone number on truck or plow, and park it in very busy intersections were people have to stop at a traffic light. If they like what they see, you will get calls. I just got a commercial this year because the customer was used to seeing my truck with plow and salter parked, and when they couldn't get in-touch with their old guy, I got the call.."hey are you the one with the salter?..."

Consistency seems to be the best, have your trucks lettered and all over town, put ads in the free newspapers--usually it costs about $300 for 15 weeks, flier a key neighborhood, try to sponsor a local event... do as much of a variety as you can.

Make yourself different in some way, offer free clean-up(the little bit in front of the garage, the door step) with a shovel for the wifes of men over in Iraq--you said you were in a military town right?

I got a bunch of comments/jobs from the big reflective letters on the truck.

5. RayGauthier

RayGauthier Member

Thanks didn't think of parking my truck !!!
    I am going to do that I have a few places I can think of right now park my spare truck
    Nice truck and thanks.
  6. norrod

norrod Senior Member

Also check local high school sports boosters.

They always sell Adver space in the sports programs. Also other clubs at the schools. Drama club sold space for a christmas play program.
  7. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

When sending out your bills to your current customers, include a note or a line on your invoice that you will credit there account $xx.xx, (I offer a flat $25.00, for a driveway, but if I was getting a large commercial job, I would up the ante) for every referral that signs on with you. Be sure to explain that the money will be credited after the new customer has paid his bill, and any other disclaimer you think of.
    This one time "cost" could pay back big in the long haul.
  8. RayGauthier

RayGauthier Member

I've already done the cash back and had a few hit's there that works!!
    I am now deducting two accounts (money) to advertising.
    I am in 2 local newspapers and on 3 local web sites (buy and sell type sites)
    And have flyer's's out .
    I also have my web site up and running.
    I also have the phone Number on my two trucks !!
    If any other idea it will help me and who ever else looks at this !!!!
    Thanks guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can't say time are hard but they are getting better.
  9. makplow

makplow Senior Member

Ray, I`m thinking of trying discount cupons, by direct mail. Also how about sponcering a sports team in your community.
  10. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Here's one for you.

I don't know if you're a church goer or not, but you'd be surprised what you can get putting an ad in the church flyer, if your church has one.

Aside from that, I agree with the member who recommended you park your other truck in a high visibility location with it lettered. I used to work for a guy residential plumbing years ago when I was a wet-nose and it was just the boss and me working in the shop. But, he had 2 standard vans, a box or cube truck with a van cab, and a pickup. All of them were painted out and lettered, even though only one of them really did any work, which of course was the cube I drove. The boss didn't do crap but drive around town in the pickup giving estimates and sexually harrassing the waitresses at his favorite lunch spot.

Funny thing though, I went on a TON of jobs where the customer said, "Yeah, I called you guys up because I see your trucks around all the time..." Go figure.
  11. makplow

makplow Senior Member

I had some one from a church call me, but I did`nt know if it would work. Thanks for the advise. The truck idea sounds good also, plus its cheap advertising.:waving:
  12. makplow

makplow Senior Member

When advertising, try to give it a chance. Try and keep your best form of advertising as long as money allows the longest. Try to use your logo on every thing possible, The longer and more they see your adds the more they will associate the logo`s and the adds together.