1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advertising??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jpeters, Sep 22, 2004.

1. jpeters

jpeters Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone did any advertising or flyers to get your name out? I was pretty much planning on just calling companies and offering to put a bid on their snow removal didn't know if there were any great advertising things that could help?? Thanks!

2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Try doing a search on the word "advertising". There are a lot of good ideas out there. I just run an add in the paper October through March. If it comes a really big snow, when I get caught up, I go door to door and ask people if they want their driveway plowed. :waving:

3. c_maint

c_maint Member

Do you have coverage? Most businesses won't accept bids unless you have 1,000,000.00 coverage. The best way for me was putting fliers in mailboxes and have a couple signs on your truck door. Most often people flag you down. The other thing I did witch helped was that I made up business cards on my computer. Whenever I got flagged down, I gave them a card.

4. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Yep I got Insurance. The signs on your truck works really well & the business cards are a must. Try the constant add in the paper it works really well for me. :waving:

5. jpeters

jpeters Junior Member

Yes I have insurance....trying to get more jobs lined up. This will be my first year in the snow removal business. Thanks for the input!

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My most effective advertising over the past four years, by far, has been an ad in the local shopper. Costs $3 week. I've got business cards, put signs on the truck, tried driving around for flag downs (total waste of time and gas), and offering discounts for referrals. Next most effective was a business card tacked to the bulletin board of the local convenience store. But I'd have to say my favorite for new business is word-of-mouth. When someone calls me who "knows someone who knows me and I really did a good job for them", I know I've got a good new customer and a repeat customer since people tend to stay with the same guy from year to year.

In my ad there are two important things - First, I put that I do plowing and sanding. The sanding sets me apart from the rest. I get a lot of business BECAUSE I've got the sander, not that they especially want sanding but that it's there. Second, I put that I'm insured for Residential and Retail. Again, not that anyone cares (I've only been asked for proof of insurance once), but, again, it sets me apart from the rest around here.