1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advertising, TV,Radio, flier?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by ddazzle007, Sep 27, 2004.

1. ddazzle007

ddazzle007 Junior Member

Im new to the business , and would like to hear ideas and experiances in advertising for start ups ,along with any current advertising advice . its too late to use yellow pages ,this is why i would like to hear from you I am residing in a Lake resort area , Lake Ozark Mo.

has anyone use TV or Radio as an advertising medium ?
    If so did it generate ant response?

Thanks

Dennis Pasley
    Snow Busters 454 SS
    Lake Ozark ,MO.

2. ddazzle007

ddazzle007 Junior Member

this post must s@#k

I thought someone might at least tell me to make flyers or something.... maybe a good old heart wrenching story of what i shouldnt do ... based upon past experience anyway

Thanks
    Dennis Pasley
    Snow Busters
    Lake Ozark ,MO.
    :nono:

3. bcf

bcf Senior Member

When I satrted my fence company, I handed out flyers in one big development. On a real humid day, I walked around to doorsteps handing out flyers for 20 minutes, then ran back to my car to drive up a few street to do the same thing over. After 2 1/2 hours, I started driving home, only to get a call from a guy I left a flyer at his house not 5 minutes before. I went and gave him an estimate, and got the job. In the last two years I have put up half a dozen more in there. If not for the stringent HOA, I'm sure I would have more.

Of course, there have been places I've handed out flyers to that I haven't heard a peep, but that's expected.

Now I jsut tell all my customers near me about snowplowing, and I get a few from that. I had an ad in the newspaper after the fist storm last year, and that gained a few. The yellow pages may work for snow removal, but I know for fence work the very few call just want an over the phone quote. And that's no good because half of selling anything is selling yourself. Make some flyers up, put an ad in the paper, knock on doors if you want, jsut get your name out there. I've heard of success with magnetic truck signs, but I've yet to experience that.

Good luck

4. BIG M

BIG M Member

The key is to keep Your name and number out there so it can be seen.
    Flyers work well, If you have a couple of teens who want to make a buck or two pay them to do flyers door to door. And yes check up on them to make sure there putting flyers and door hangers where there supposed to and not in the trash.
    Cold calls work for residentials as well as some small businesses, some owners like to meet and get a chance to talk to you first. I usually look over the property and have an idea of what my price will be before I go in to a cold call so as not to look stupid when they ask me my price and I don't know yet.
    Keep your name out there and as soon as it snows and the panic sets in thats when the residentials will call.
    Good Luck

5. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Put an ad in the local newspaper. Get you some signs on your trucks. When you eat lunch around town leave a business card or two on the table when you leave. When you get caught up during a snow event park at your favorite gas station and drink your coffee, this way people can read your signs on your truck. :waving: BOAST

6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

If your going to place business cards around town then expect to receive call from people trying to sell your junk. I just got a call the other day from a guy trying to sell me kitchen knives of all things.

7. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

That sounds about like my luck. I would place some cards around town and somebody would call & ask me if I needed my driveway plowed!! :dizzy:

8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I had a guy last year who did just that, I guess he didnt see my plow sittin in the drive...