1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advertising Help

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by breadoflife, Oct 26, 2009.

1. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

Heres the skinny: My Stepdad, Pastor, and I are starting a business, starting with snow plowing and lawn care, I have about 5 to 6 years of professional lawn care experience, and i had been plowing for my stepdad for about half of last season. At the time we lived in a small town, of about 1500 people so advertising was easy but in the area there are many people who plow and mow. Now we have moved north of Elk River MN, near Zimmerman, so the number of people is much much larger, but even with our main advertising on craigslist, i havent received any calls, and to my knowledge, neither has pastor or my stepdad. So heres what i am wondering, aside from going door to door, which i am a little nervous to do, i was thinking of distributing flyers to peoples doors...any other ideas?
  2. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

put an ad in the local shopper guides, or you can pass out flyers, but those should have out a couple months ago, if your trying to get commercial lots the only way is knocking on doors, but as i said it is most likely too late for this year, good luck
  3. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

yea, well we all relatively recently got down here, so we r trying to hit the ground running...im working frantically to get everything serviced and ready...got our trailer road worthy just yesterday, fixed(i think) the tranny issue on our blower, still need to rebuild the power unit...hasnt been serviced sine idk when, bc we just bought the truck last year...dont look great but performs fair for a half ton... the tank switchover just went out on it so im looking at that tomorrow, and i need new eyebolts to tension the trip springs... and prolly 3 or four other things...thankfully mother nature seems to be waiting a little to let forth the white gold...but it wont be for much longer...and idk what our budget is(just our pocket money...and im unemployed) so is interesting but i think we will make it...im thinking of doin a somewhat decent spraycan job on the truck bc its old and like 3 or four different colors and we r looking at sandblasting the plow and repainting it too.so yea...wish us luck...
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Ok the impression I get from just reading what you wrote and your signature line is your very nice people but not organized and not professional, thus maybe partly responsible for the lack of calls. Your timing is the other problem, your too late for the early bird gets the worm customer and too early for the procrastinator.

Centralize your phone number to a cell phone, have the voicemail and whomever answers it be professional sounding IE Ring Ring: "Thank you for calling Bread of Life Property Maintenance company how may we be of service?"

Skip the whole "have your measurement ready" thing, that requires effort and people are lazy.

Honestly who cares what the equipment looks like, just be reliable. Spend your money on clean shirts and use your printer to iron on the company name.

15 mile radius is a bit large, can you imagine traveling 30 miles in a snow storm?

Don't door to door, people like their privacy, print up simple flyers use microsoft word 81/2 x 11 sheet of paper sliced in 1/2 length wise.
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Good advice so far, and living in Elk River, I agree with what's been posted on timing. We're on to training, salt deliveries, and drive staking, all the contracts have been in for weeks. The only thing left out there now is the procrastinators and people looking for the cheapest possible price. You may pick up a driveway or two, but don't get too upset if you get no calls at this point in the season. My only advice to you at this point would be to try hooking up with a larger company as a sub. It won't be as profitable as having your own accounts, but something is better than nothing.

Craigslist has been a joke this year for advertising. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry have ads for snowplowing on there, and they post new ads everyday without deleting the old one. So it's incredibly congested, and your ad is likely lost in the mix, and anyone looking for a plow jockey on craigslist has got to be completely overwhelmed. If you're going to advertise, door to door, flyers, and the phonebook is a much better way to go (a couple months ago)...
  6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

buy a couple thousand buisness cards and hand them out to everyone, the mailman, grocery clerk, manager at grocery store, lawyer, etc. Networking is everything in this buisness, get as many people talking about your buisness as possible.
  7. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

some grocery stores in our area have a board to post ads on it, you may want to look into that, and make up a flyer to post on it,like someone else said look into being a sub for someone, it also will give you some valuable expreance, good luck
  8. WayneSnow

WayneSnow Senior Member

get a website