1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advertising gurus need your input!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Hey guys Im gonna run an ad in the local paper here how have you worded your newspaper ads before Im just looking for something that stands out and will catch someones eye thanks alot!
  2. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

In my area I have found that newspaper ads are just about a lost cause. There are so many ads in the papers nowdays that few people really look at them. The best thing I have done is to look for "jobs that I want to do", and go to the person in charge introduce myself and give him a personal contact. Just this morning I was contacted by business owner that I had talked to a month or so ago and left a pricing quote. I had told him what other properties that I plow for, so he could check me out. Yesterday I started the salt pretreating on a couple of lots then went into plow mode. Was tired after 14 hours of plowing, but when he called I got dressed again said I'd be right there. I plowed and salted because of the pack from yesterday, 45 min. later I left his lot with a 2yr contract & $95.00 cash $$$, That's wat it's about.
    Good luck but remember doing a good job & giving service will keep your a$$ busy

3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I agree with Rick. I,ve always had good luck approaching stores etc that I want to plow. They will usually hear what you have to offer, or else they will tell you they are happy with their current snowplower. No big deal, just leave a card. Go to strata management companies, realestate offices, etc, and be proactive. I found a newspaper ad just got the people that are shopping around for the cheap price. Also put big decals on your truck, I 've goten a lot of jobs from people that have seen me at another site.

Good luck

Chris V
  4. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I used to advertise in the state news and the post and got more responses off of the post. Not too sure why but it helped. But if you really think about it.... where do you look for someone who has a service or product you want... the phone book. Look my ad up in the lawn care section. I pay $47 per month and I also got in the snow removal section for free. Goes right on the phone bill. Total write off.
  5. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

If you have absolutely decided on advertizing in the newspaper, then check out the existing ones. Usually they are listed alphabetically so set up your ad to start with an "a". Something like "A better snow plow service, call xxx-xxxx" short sweet and cheap.

Good luck
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

Excellent point Acorn,works in the phone book too.

I didn't think of it that way when I started the company 15 years ago,just lucked out and since it starts with an A we get a lot of calls.I ask them where they heard of us and the say,your the first one in the yellow pages.

The other problems with newspaper is they cover a very broad area.This can lead to calls from all over the place,depending on the circulation area of the paper.You may end up doing more driving than plowing,which can be tough in a snowstorm if your a small co or one man show.

If you want to advertise or get new customers,I'd do it like this

Clean looking trucks,professionally lettered and recognizable,customers will notice,especially if your doing a good job.Even if it's only one truck.

Hand out lots of business cards.Find a place that makes them cheap,and print out a few 1000,hand them out all over the place,give them to freinds,family etc,to pass along.Word trvels quick.

Hand out flyers in the area you want to target,even better if it's in person.

Look for the work you want,and go get it.Stop in and chat with the manager,or homeowner,and put in a bid,let them know what you do.

Call the city or local municipality.They usually have lists of handicapped or elderly who need thier driveways cleaned.Theye may also be looking for sub work.

Yellow pages,first place people go when they need something.A little more expensive though and can have the same territory drawbacks as newpapers.
  7. farmertim

farmertim Member

Not to get you in trouble or anything but the best advertising I did two years ago was on Friday morning before Labor Day I posted some plastic cardboard signs 2'X2' in the area I was trying to expand my customer base in.
    I took them down Monday night and I got calls for three months after that and signed up all who called.
    Granted 87% of my customers are summer residents who only need plowed for the gas truck and the week they are up for winter vacation but it only cost me 50.00 including the labor of a sign painter who did it in big permenant marker.
    If you do it on a weekend you get around the sign laws, and if you don't do it to often people don't mind.
    I did get one call from a church lady who was prez of the lake society who's post I tacked a sign to, but she was ok to deal with.
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Thats another good idea with the signs.

Try to stay away from pushing the "cheap" or "lowest price",because they will always expect it done cheap.They also tend to be the biggest complainers.
  9. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Go after the work you want. I took anything and everything this year. I won't take some of my apartment complexes again. Get the type of stuff that you want. I prefer open lots that want good service (Doctor's office, Hospital and Realty offices) Next year I will go after convience stores and the grocery stores for sure.

Business cards, Proffesional truck and equipment are what works for me. I am proud to show and bid jobs in my plow truck.

I do have a "business card" add in the paper, $45 of month in the weekly paper. I got some bid work out of it, but most importantly I get the emergency calls that I charge a super premium. I also have my cell number on my answering machine for those people to get ahold of me while I am plowing.