1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

advertising advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Duncan IN, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Duncan IN

Duncan IN Member

This is my first year at snowplowing what i am wanting to do is put an advertisement in my local paper.

Here is what I want to know, what all should I include in an advertisement. I would like to pick up more commercial accounts. I already have 5 apartment complexes at 120 each and some small residentials.

I am insured, What kind of sayings are good to put in an ad?

Any Ideas would be appreciated.
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Personally I think it is a little late to advertise. I just think it is a little late to be spending money on plowing. Most people around me at least have already taken care of lining up a plower. I could be wrong in your area though. Do a little research before you spend too much. A lot of my business has come from word of mouth. If you get a few driveways maybe they will recommend you.
  3. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

I agree with CT, it may be a little late for advertising. Especially for commercial plowing. What you may want to do is stay on top of the accounts you already have. And, upon completing them, start driving around your community spot checking for small commercial locations ( gas stations, convenient stores, ect.) that still need their lots plowed. Just ask to speak with the manager and see if you cant strike a deal. Its the best type of cold calling, if you will, and worked great for me the first year i got into plowing. Good luck!
  4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

I'd suggest subbing as part of your revenue.
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You didn't mention what type of business you were looking for, but here's a couple tips for residential. Skip the newspaper and make yourself up a simple flyer, include Snowplowing, your phone number, and some graphics of a snowplow at work. 24 hour service and dependable should be included as well. Then make sure you are.

Stuff newspaper boxes of the neighborhoods you'd like to work (mailboxes are a Federal offense, I found out) and hang them at the super market/convenience store. You could also have your phone number done up in vinyl and put on the front of your plow.

For commercial I'd make a personal visit like the other guys mentioned. Remember, professionalism speaks for itself.
  6. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Bag the advertising idea for this year. The time for that has come and gone. Make up some quality flyers with detachable tabs that include your 24 hour phone number and hang them up at your local grocery store. It works great!
  7. porter

porter Junior Member

I don't agree with you guys because well i do and i don't there are tons of times when it snows and somebody may be sick and want some one to plow them out etc etc. but far as contracts you won't get any unless someone has a guy plowing already and he's doing a shi**y job
  8. porter

porter Junior Member

Number on plow is a great idea that's what i did works great
  9. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

we did some advertising in a local shopper type free newspaper. spent $3.50 for 2 weeks. didnt even get 1 call. with the weather here lately people just aren't thinking about snow yet.

hope the rest of get some snow to go play in,
    Mark K
  10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Depends on your area, I guess. I got two calls today from an ad in a "free shopper". Expect more tomorrow and then more especially at the first snow. Also found out today that a mall I'd bid was still considering bids. I'd thought it was closed and awarded a couple weeks ago. Also, a two days ago a military installation just advertised for bid proposals.

I plan on running that ad all winter. Small investment ($5/wk) for the potential returns. Of course, we do everything a little different up here in Maine.
  11. littlerhino

littlerhino Junior Member
    from Mi

I personaly think that adds work great stick to a area that you wouldn't think people would want plowing iv got so much work from lillle drives were people are ether old and cant get out to shovel or just plan lazey The bigger guys will just pass them up and its good money once your in the neborhood u will pick up more i also put my phone number on the end of the drive way steak and i get a lot of calls for them good luck

12. speedracer241

the weather people are forecasting a possibility of snow here later next week. i think i'll run that ad again for a few weeks. pretty cheap ad and has a very large area of coverage. sure cant hurt.
  13. Duncan IN

Duncan IN Member

Well after talking to some people and reading the posts here I have found out that for the commercial accounts around here the most part of them have been takin but there was a few still taking bids. This is my first year and i just recieved my plow a couple of weeks ago so I was unable to get a head start on getting accounts. I think I am going to focus mainly on residentials this year. I am going to place an ad in a paper not just a text ad but one with some graphics. Some one said that they put an ad in a paper for two weeks and did not recieve a call. Well I think alot of people are lazy and will not call in advance, they will wait till they snow is already on the ground or if they know a big snow storm is on the way.

It's finally getting cold around here, I just hope the snow will come now
  14. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Are you from Indiana? If so, where in IN?
  15. Duncan IN

Duncan IN Member

Linton Indiana, 45 min south east of Terre Haute

Run an ad in the yellow pages for about two years and you will have all the buisness you need.
  17. speedracer241

yellow pages

never even thought of that.
    was the cost of the add reasonable??
    sounds like a great idea
    Mark K
  18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have never adveritsed with a big add in the Yellow Pages. I have more work then needed through word of mouth. Would not want people calling and not being able to schedule them in the near future. I have a regular listing in the yellow pages. I get most of my business from word of mouth.

For snowplowing though it might be a good idea. Looking in my yellow pages I only found 4 companies advertising under snow removal services.
  19. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The Yellow Pages are a fairly big expense for snowplowing, especially for a one man operation, plus you'll be advertising in a much broader area than you'll want to cover. If you also have a landscaping business and place an ad for that, you could include snowplowing as part of that ad.

Remember, you aren't making money unless there is snow rolling off the plow, travel time is dead time, so keep your route tight. If you are dependable and work for a fair price, people will seek you out. I can't stress enough how much being dependable and reliable will work for you. Good luck!
  20. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Mr Duncan,
    I agree you are a little late to be looking to advertise. ( At least spending alot of money on it ) I know I did my advertiseing in July, and my accounts were booked by mid August. You could do as others suggested, and stop at some small places and talk to the managers, but I think you are a little late man. Good luck...
    Happy Plowing