1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advantages to being a SIMA member?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by siteworkplus, Feb 11, 2012.

1. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

What are the benefits to being a SIMA member?

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

You get to pay another bill. The membership fee.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  3. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Don't you get some kind of special badge, ? You know, the one that tells everyone that you're great in bed, sensitive, sincere, and well endowed ?

I could have sworn that's what it said in the brochure...:laughing:

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

the largest snow contractor in our state thinks its worth it to be a member...

5. siteworkplus

from mass

Not trying to be cute, honestly would like to get some opinions from SIMA members as to the benefits.

Although, like Groucho Marx said "Not sure I would want to belong to a club that would have me as a member"

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I WAS a member. Im not anymore.

7. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Please explain why Mick, I may be interested in joining.

8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Im not going to start a pi$$ing contest on this thread as thats not what the op wants.... i'll pm you my reasons

9. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

In all honesty, I think its so that you have a "professional" badge to go with your service. Other than that its nothing, at least it seems that way to me. Its not like there is any rules to follow in oder to join, you just pay the fee. So anyone can join, even if they are the biggest a******s to their customers.

10. siteworkplus

from mass

I'ld be interested in you're opinion.

Feel free to PM me, thanks

11. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

QUOTE=siteworkplus;1446583]I'ld be interested in you're opinion.

Feel free to PM me, thanks[/QUOTE]

ill second that:salute:

12. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I have been a SIMA member now for two years.Honestly, all the information you can get from SIMA for a yearly fee you can get off of this site for free from many SIMA members.

The symposium may be worth it, I don't know, I'll never be able to go to one because of having to work.

13. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

14. 60Grit

60Grit Senior Member

I'd like to hear as well Mick. Please and thanks.

15. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Add me to the list as well Mick please.

16. siteworkplus

from mass

sorry Mick, hope you didn't have plans for the rest of the day:drinkup:

17. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

LOL... heres the pm I've sent out 6 times already and don't want to do it anymore.... Hope your ok with it Scott!

Let me start by saying to each his own.

I joined and went to RI last year. My "buddy" (a snow only company with sales over 500K) was usless with the various questions I had for him and said he would answer them all at RI. Well, met him in person and he was too drunk to talk with me! SIMA's a "good ol boys club" if you can understand that phrase which im sure you do (dont take offense sima guys as its just my opinion). Lastly Im very much against nationals and I've gone over and over with brian birch about this matter. In my opinion SIMA sides with the nationals and not that of its members... thats the reason I'm no longer a member

I've been in the Biz for almost 20 years now and employ about 10-12 people during the winter. IMO if you can weed out the crap on PS, its just as valueble as to being a member of sima

Good luck with your decisions. Flame on! :yow!:

Mike

18. siteworkplus

from mass

All good!::salute::drinkup:

19. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Hey Mike, you know I need to chime in, I am really sorry about your bad experience I wish we would have a chance to meet. If I did meet you, and cannot remember who you were, its that I met and talked with lots of guys during that week.
    As far as the symposium goes, when you attended the concurrent education sessions did you not learn something? How about the snack and chats? Did you enjoy the symposium trade show? In SIMA you can always request a new buddy, or network with anyone that you meet during the week. Its so easy to say its an good ol boys club, but I have been a member for 4 years now and cannot say I have experienced that. Sure there are companies that hang with only other members, but I think you have that no matter where or what you attend. Did you attend the New Members and first timers reception?
    SIMA tries very hard to have its members meet and welcome you. Are you saying no one came up to you that you did not know and introduce them self? There is so much that can be learned from being a member, and some amazing friendships to be made. Yes there is lots of info on this site, and maybe after 20 years in the business you can weed out the crap. I have been in the business for 36 years, and I am stilling learning new tricks, and ideas that I can implement into my business from SIMA. Is SIMA perfect? No, but it is a great organization that represents the industry I care alot about. I can promise you that SIMA is in no way about the Nationals, or controlled by nationals. I will stop here, there is lots more just have run out of time for now.

20. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>