1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

advantages of starting buisness

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by intimidator, Nov 29, 2001.

1. intimidator

intimidator Member

I've been plowing snow for about 5 years on the side, I have a full time day job also. I'll just collect once or twice a month, deping on snowfall amounts. Just bought a dedicated plow truck last year and am thinking about putting a plow on the daily driver also. I plow with a friend of mine (currently a two truck operation) and he owns his own construction co. Together we do about 10-13 lots, some big, some small. He tells me he deducts everything, truck, plow, gas. I was wondering ig it would be wise to create my own buisness so I could do the same. I know nothing about this type of thing. so I thought I would ask ya'all before I approached my CPA, maybe hoping to get an idea of what to ask him.

Thanks. Jason

2. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Well Jason,
    I was in the same situation a few years ago. There are some advantages and some disadvantages. First, I do not believe you can write off everything, unless it is a truck specifically dedicated to the business, as your partner is a contractor, he probably is writing it off already. Second, insurance is a must. If you don't have it already. I would recommend at least a million liability, and here in NY that costs about $1100 a year, so you need to at least make that just to get to even. That is if you can find acompany to insure you for "Just Snow Plowing " Email me if you have more questions, I'll be glad to answer them
    Rick

3. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

when i used to do plowing "on the side", i had what my agent called limited commercial insurance on my truck. i had originally intended on the million dollar policy as stated, but my agent suggested just half a million since i wouldnt be plowing any large commercial properties. as a result the insurance was 30% cheaper than the one mill policy. but i suppose each case depends on the individuals desires and needs. a lot of commercial lots will NOT hire without a one million dollar policy though, especially gas stations, and understandably so that they wont. just an idea for you.