1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Advantage of a V plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pcs, Jul 22, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I just got my new F-350 diesel last month. It's alot different than my F-150 which by the way I did plow with. I feel sorry for the person who buy's that truck. I am looking for a new plow for my truck and I don't really understand the advantage of a v. I have heard they save alot of time. Could someone explain how it saves time?

2. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

there have been a lot of threads and posts in the past about advantages of v-plows. use the search function and you'll find a lot of information.

bryan

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The biggest advantage is not the v position but the scoop position. With that function you are able to carry and stack alot more effeciently than with a straight plow. And when the day comes that you have 12+" of snow to break open, the v will make that much easier on the truck and plow, in fact you might be able to plow area that a straight plow wouldnt be able to do. We had at least 4 times this past season that our v plows were able to plow driveways that straight plow got stuck in.
    Dino

4. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

Dino is exactly right, the advantage of a V plow is too move volume and is primarily used in the scoop position. Often plowers are able to stack higher with V plows and with the muti-positions, allows the plow to be more versatile for commercial applications. As Dino said, the V position is for path cutting, long driveways, deep snows, etc. Typically most commercial plowers have at least one V plow per fleet. Straight blades often follow the V to catch access snow and sludge. Typically time is saved due to the volume the V plow can move.

5. plowking35

from SE CT

One case in point for v plows, we do a Hotel that one Sunday am was filled to capacity. We recieved 10" of powder over night, and had only one storage area open for stacking, with the v plow we were able to carry all the snow to that one location in alot less time than with a straight plow. In fact with the straight plow the cars would have been behind a 24"-36" winrow of snow, instead only the original 10" was left about 1' from the bumper back. Dont get me wrong we still had spillage but no where near the amount of a straight plow.
    We also have condos with parking on one side and sidewalks on the other, we can scoop and carry snow with out burying cars or moving 6x the amount of snow off the walks.
    When all is said and done after 3 seasons with a v plow,I will never buy another new straight plow( unless we get a large private road contract) and it saves us at least 40-50% in time.
    Dino

6. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I have heard from people that the would stay away from a v because they say the v has more moving parts and can break down more then a straight. Is there any truth to this? If so what will break on a v plow and how easily can it be fixed?

7. plowking35

from SE CT

They havent plowed with one, and really dont know the bennies. Trust us here, get a v plow whatever brand(except perhaps hiniker) and you will be happy. I have 3 yrs commercial plowing on my v and no breaks whats so ever.
    Dino

8. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I agree with Dino... stay away from Hiniker!!!!

Look, if you take care of something and don't act like a 800 lb gorilla behind the wheel things will last.

Dino knows from where he speaks !!! I don't own a V plow yet, but I have been plowing with the same plow for years (Fisher) I maintain it religiously and have never had even one weld crack .

( Knock on Wood !!! )

Don't beat the living crap out of it and you won't have to worry!

Jeff

9. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

pcs,

Like Dino and others have said, there is no comparison in the productivity between a straight blade and a V;)

At the marina where I live and also plow, there is an area that would be impossible to plow properly with a blade. It is basicly a penisula surrounded on three sides with boats for sale and an office in the middle. With a blade you would have to windrow the snow either towards the boats or towards the office. Either case you would have a tremendous amount of hand work, clearing all the finger piers so people could access the boats, or having snow pushed up against the building and clearing all the doors:(

With the V i just channel all the snow to one area and stack it up:D . I don't get out of the truck once!

Oh and by the way, you'll love the way your PSD pushes snow!!!!

Greg

10. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

These guys are all right on the money.

We have nine 'V' plows.

We converted all the straights into skid steer box blades a couple years back.