Snow Plowing Forum banner

adjustment of plow pads

8K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  ford250LDMaster 
#1 ·
how do you all adjust the skid pads on your plows?got a fisher with the edge that trips.took the pads off and it runs a lot smoother than when they are on.i go over grass a lot and kind of need them there to keep from digging in.

do you adjust them so the edge is just off the ground a little or right on the ground?

#2 ·
Shoes

Never used them, have never seen anyone Else use them either.
I here they are more trouble then they are worth.

#8 ·
The guys who do the backroads around my parent's house use them. It is a small onelane road and it has a very high crown in some spots. Like if you laid a 12 foot 2 X 4 across the road it would esily be 6 to 8 inches off the ground on each side because the middle is so high. I think they run the blades about an inch off the ground, and it shows when they do the driveway, but I think they'd just destroy the road if they didn't use them. I imagine they help on gravel and stuff too.

-Jer

#11 ·
I cheated and bought my wheels from western.

I removed my shoes and there in the garage.
The shoes are nice for doing gravel driveways. they help keep the gravel from picking up with the snow and going into the pile in the grass. But I figure once the gravel freezes, its not a problem anymore.

Bumper Paint Fixture Gas Composite material

#12 ·
Scrap the shoes. If you are worried about tearing up grass, just tap the blade up a bit when you come to the edge of the driveway. That way, hopefully this will melt and freeze about an inch of snow, and then your u edge will just ride up over this for the next storm.

#15 ·
Holy-cow,,,,,is that what you have to do to move a Western plow ???? :eek: I Really like my BOSS plow now..:D

#16 · (Edited)
Originally posted by clueless
how do you all adjust the skid pads on your plows?got a fisher with the edge that trips.took the pads off and it runs a lot smoother than when they are on.i go over grass a lot and kind of need them there to keep from digging in.

do you adjust them so the edge is just off the ground a little or right on the ground?
I run shoes on all 4 of my Fishers. I adjust the shoes so the cutting edge hits the ground first and let the the cutting edge wear down to the shoes. I use to run without shoes but since using the shoes I now get 3 times the life out of a cutting edge and the smile is reduced greatly. I plow mostly paved roads and lots but do have 3 gravel driveways on campus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.