1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

adjustment of plow pads

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clueless, Dec 19, 2003.

1. clueless

clueless Member
    from pa

how do you all adjust the skid pads on your plows?got a fisher with the edge that trips.took the pads off and it runs a lot smoother than when they are on.i go over grass a lot and kind of need them there to keep from digging in.

do you adjust them so the edge is just off the ground a little or right on the ground?

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Shoes

Never used them, have never seen anyone Else use them either.
    I here they are more trouble then they are worth.

3. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

these things here.is that what there used for oh well there plow dollies now lol

im000180 (2).jpg

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Now that I could use

5. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Can't remeber the last time I have seen anyone use them either. Toss em.

6. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Don't run them never have in 20 years of plowing. Just replace the cutting edge when it wears out.

7. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 Member

Throw em' out they are useless.;)

8. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

The guys who do the backroads around my parent's house use them. It is a small onelane road and it has a very high crown in some spots. Like if you laid a 12 foot 2 X 4 across the road it would esily be 6 to 8 inches off the ground on each side because the middle is so high. I think they run the blades about an inch off the ground, and it shows when they do the driveway, but I think they'd just destroy the road if they didn't use them. I imagine they help on gravel and stuff too.

-Jer

9. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

ford250LDMaster

.......that is a great idea........did you just drill holes through the pad to mount the caster???

I am all over that......the pads are currently sitting on a shelve in the garage......

goodbye bulky plow dollie...

Derek

10. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

ill post some better pics in a few minutes.

11. wolfmanah

wolfmanah Junior Member

I cheated and bought my wheels from western.

I removed my shoes and there in the garage.
    The shoes are nice for doing gravel driveways. they help keep the gravel from picking up with the snow and going into the pile in the grass. But I figure once the gravel freezes, its not a problem anymore.

dollywheel.jpg

12. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

Scrap the shoes. If you are worried about tearing up grass, just tap the blade up a bit when you come to the edge of the driveway. That way, hopefully this will melt and freeze about an inch of snow, and then your u edge will just ride up over this for the next storm.

13. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

pic for yah

im000187a (2).jpg

14. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

last for now

im000188 (2).jpg

15. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Holy-cow,,,,,is that what you have to do to move a Western plow ???? :eek: I Really like my BOSS plow now..:D

16. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I run shoes on all 4 of my Fishers. I adjust the shoes so the cutting edge hits the ground first and let the the cutting edge wear down to the shoes. I use to run without shoes but since using the shoes I now get 3 times the life out of a cutting edge and the smile is reduced greatly. I plow mostly paved roads and lots but do have 3 gravel driveways on campus.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  17. ford250LDMaster

ford250LDMaster Member

son my way 40 bucks.buy a real plow dolly you can spend between 90 and 400.i like my $40.00 plow dolly LOL :D