1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adjusting the hydraulics

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Phanes, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Phanes

Phanes Junior Member

When I was in college I plowed in 1/2 ton dumps with Fisher blades. I remember the hydraulics on them being very smooth and slow moving.

I recently just picked up a Fisher homesteader to do my 1/2 mile long driveway with and we just got it today. When I was testing the blade angle it would slam side to side and down really hard. It seemed to have no control it would either slam all the way to the right or all the way to left with no smooth action. It did not matter if I just touched the right button a little tap or held it down it would slam all the way to one side or the other.

I know the hydraulic systems usually have a quill or a valve that can be turned to slow this action down or speed it up. Before I started adjusting I was just wandering if that is how new hydraulic systems work until they get broken in or something.

The fishers on the city dumps were all 10+ years old so maybe they just moved smooth and slow due to age.

Thanks.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You're simply not accustom to the current hydraulics. They're faster than those from a number of years ago. Plus you're operating a lightweight blade.

The only speed that you're able to regulate is the lower speed. There's an adjustment screw located on the front side of the valve block that will permit you to adjust that to your liking but the rest are just due to current technology. Enjoy it.

3. Phanes

Phanes Junior Member

Thanks for the info I figured I would just need to turn it down some. Now I can't wait for the snow to fly....