1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adjusting the gear selector

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Drottlawn, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I need to adjust my gear selector on my 99 f250. How is this done? When I am plowing and I go from reverse to drive etc. I some times have to bump the selector towards the left side of the desired gear to get it to engage in that gear.
    Also it seems pretty hard to shift the lever into the gears. Is this a cable problem or linkage. I am not to familiar with the newer trucks. Any help is greatly appreciated!:salute:

2. BDB

BDB Senior Member

I know there is a bushing where the linkage is hooked to the cable under the dash that goes bad. And or there are screws that fall out that hold that secure. I had mine (bushing) replaced. But it could be other things. The cable could be getting bad. Just have to start at the top and work your way around.

3. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

Bdb is right, typically the screws under the dash that hold the cable up will loosen, and eventually leave you imobile.. Before adjusting anything i would just take a quick peek.

4. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

You guys were right! The two torx screws were loose causing my gear selection to be off. I do still have a problem with how stiff the shifter is. I lubed the cable at both ends and all the pivot points to no change. I am starting to think that the little black box on the trans is causing it to be hard to move. What is this box? Does the cable go in it or just pull a lever on it. I didn't look to close. Thanks Again!:salute:

5. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

that would be the neutral saftey switch . We had one this year that caused the shifter to not move easily .

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

That little black box is your problem if your cable isnt stretched out. I had to replace that one on of my old trucks. That little black box goes into the tranny....thats what tells the tranny what gear to choose. Its called a range position sensor. You might be able to PB Blast it in the short term, but ultimately, you will want a new one. Its a cheap fix

7. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

The range selector generally just slides off the shaft after the arm is removed from the shaft. You could always just pop the cable off near the trans and see if the cable is causing the binding or if its either the switch or somthing in the trans itself...