1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adjusting Plow Shoes With Touch of Button

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MIAWPUKEK, Feb 21, 2005.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Wouldn't it be nice if someone invented a plow where you could raise and lower the shoes with the touch of a button, when plowing from pavement to dirt/gravel. :nod:
  2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Could probably be done with a small pair of hydraulic cylinders - if one had that many to do.
  3. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I adjust my plow shoes by leaving them in the garage, I then adjust the plow to the proper depth by using my rider or by getting out of the truck.
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Shoes. What are those? ;)
  5. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

With hydraulic cylinders it might be tough or impossible to get fine enough adjustment, unless you built in some stops at your favorite setting. I was thinking along the lines of a using power trailer tongue jacks, just with a shortened tube.
  6. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

They kinda do...It's called a joystick & a whole lot of practice and skill! :waving:
  7. hillmin

hillmin Junior Member

I adjust mine the same way as gt racer50. I must have a dozen sets of shoes and a box full of washer shims in the barn. Don't junk them because I have this stupid notion that some day I may find some use for them.
  8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

They do. The button on my cutting torch. :nod:
  9. snowgm

snowgm Member
    from MI

It seems like every time this gets brought up the answer is always that hardly anybody uses shoes. I've talked to a couple local guys who never thought about even taking them off - so I don't if its a fluke of this forum or what.

I've tried with and without and didn't see a big difference. I can see the problem with keeping them adjusted - but it also seems like removing them would cause your cutting edge to wear a LOT faster.
  10. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

when i got my first fisher it didn;t come with em and i didn;t miss em, with my new western ultramount the first thing i did the day of the blizzard when i took delivery is took the shoes off and left em in the garage, i do have one gravel lot that i plow. i like the scraping action of the blade it seems to get everything cleaner, and that is what my customers request.

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The frequent changes of temperatures here result in the constant freezing and thawing of the ground. Plowing gravel lots here without shoes on is a sure way to break things. The tires of the truck sink in in some places, so where you have set your height to doesn't stay constant.

I'd love a set of power operated shoes. Up for pavement, down for gravel.