1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? Explore this quick video tour of updates and enhancements. It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

adjusting plow lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pcs, Jan 14, 2002.

1. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I can't figure out how to adjust the lights on my Boss. Also one of the bulbs are out. It doesn't seem like I can just change the bulb. It seems I have to change the lens and everything??

Am I doing something wrong?

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Are these the new high-tech (a.k.a. "$$$$$") xenon Boss lights? Can't offer any help if they are :( however if they are the older type of plow lights (made by Dominion Auto & others) adjustment should be possible by loosening the mounting nut and moving the light to the desired position (for lack of a better term, the light is mounted on a "ball and socket" joint allowing it a bit of movement in all directions) then re-tightening the nut.

If they haven't been adjusted in a long time the nut and/or the ball-and-socket portion may be rusty and require the penetrating oil treatment.

Regarding changing the bulb, again if they are the older-style light, they may take a standard automotive sealed-beam headlight assembly, in which case you change the whole sealbeam: no separate bulb. This would seem to be the case from what you describe about the lens & all having to come out.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2002
  3. pcs

pcs Senior Member

They are not the new lights but the ones you decribed. I don't understand why you can't just change the bulb.

Thanks alot 75. I think I saw your famous truck at Landsape Ontario Show.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

You do just change the bulb. Just that the bulb is a lot bigger. It is called a sealed beam. Before the mid 80's all vehicles used this type of lighting. Still very easy to do.

5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Pcs - Uh-oh, I was "spotted"! :D

Yes, I was at the Landscape Ontario show for 2 days (Wed/Thur) helping out at the SIMA booth, took the old "relic" truck down there. Even made it there & back under it's own power.................... J/K ;)

CT18 is right about the sealbeam lights - basically they are just a giant light bulb. Being o-l-d, my truck takes the 7" round sealbeam for the headlights, but my plow lights use separate halogen bulbs.

Were you able to get your plow lights adjusted? If the nut/"ball & socket" isn't responding to penetrating oil, and if the light housing is metal, you could try very carefully putting a bit of heat on the nut & mount.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2002
  6. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I tried some WD-40 and still couldn't get it off. I'll try the heat.
    Thanks for your help.

7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Just be real careful with the heat! What kind of torch will you be using? If you have an oxy/acetylene or oxy/propane setup and can put a brazing tip on, that would be good. Plenty of heat and very easy to keep under control.

Keep the heat on the nut only, that should get it turning. Once the nut is loose, hopefully the ball/socket portion will be free.

*&^%$$^&*(&*^%^** corrosion................. :mad:

8. Sno

Sno Senior Member

God I feel old reading this thread!