1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adjusting flow with v-box

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mike33, Nov 24, 2013.

1. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I went out this morning with my new Boss v-box and first time with v-box. I put close to 2 80" Bobcat buckets in spreader last night. I went to one lot had everything set on 4 and made a single pass with blacktop showing just to see how the flow was. I thought that didn't seem like enough so I set everything on 10 pintle chain and spinner. I went to different location where I knew I would get some work due to elevation change. I proceeded to do 4 places where combined I would of normally used 50 50 lb bags. I went to another place and I was empty, thought damn I was a little heavy. This morning was sure a great learning experience. Any suggestions of where I should of had chain set? Kind of figure I was putting double salt down. Bright side in 15 degree weather I had black lots. Any help I would appreciate.

2. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

There are two options for this adjustment:
    (1) Run the Spinner at 10 and play around with the chain speed between 6 or 8
    or
    (2) Refer to the manual on page 24: There is a restricter plate on the backside of the unit that will allow you to reduce the flow by half when the unit is set to 10 and 10.
    You can also contact our service team at 800-286-4155 ext. 2 for additional assistance. Thank you for purchasing THE BOSS VBX.

3. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

It was my pleasure to purchase another Boss product. I will try that im currently loaded down for a storm coming tomorrow. I will be able play with it some more. I couldn't believe how this fit in my short bed with no more hanging than when I was running tailgate spreader.

4. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I went out this am had one of my guys follow me. It actually worked good on 2 but I took it to 3 for pintle chain. I salted several places and hardly made a dent in the hopper of material. Little practice makes perfection. It was so nice to salt 9 places with out getting out of truck.

5. BossEric

BossEric Member

I love the VBX !! Hands down the best BOSS has to offer !! Love the look on the customers face when we walk them through it.

6. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

vbx

We ran a few tons through not impressed and bye the way there is a sendor on the top of the mesh gate if its not adjusted the correct way the salter will not operate found out the hard way I love boss plows this is a different leaning curve . I have ran plenty of salters and I really think the controller needs to b simpler to many beels and wistles.

7. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Looking at the vbx for our first vbox. What is it that you aren't impressed with?

8. spencers

spencers Member
    from Utah

I just bought the vbx a few months ago and I'm looking forward to using it as I was using a tail gate salter from salt dog before. Mine isn't chain drivin though as many of you guys have them. They did away with that. You just have the auger speed and spinner speed. As far as teh settings go for that I have no clue. Any one have a good idea of factor settings for the new ones? I do like what they have done with them though compared to the snow ex.

9. spencers

spencers Member
    from Utah

I just bought a VBX this year and from my understanding they don't use chains anymore. What setting should be a normal setting for my VBX 8000?

Thanks

10. spencers

spencers Member
    from Utah

I got the auger one, not the chain. So yeah What settings should I set it on the put down a normal amount of salt?

11. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

There is no hard and fast answers for you guys on what settings you should have your spreader set to. It's just a process of trial and error. All spreaders are different, and people drive at different speeds when salting, so you'll have to find out the answer for what suits your needs best yourself. The best suggestion I can offer is doing what someone above stated. Have someone follow you around for a little bit to help you dial in what you're looking for.

12. spencers

spencers Member
    from Utah

Yeah I'm sure I can figured it out. I went from a saltdogg tailgate spreader to this so it's a little different for me. Thanks for the input though