1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adjusting Boss V

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sgoalie23, Mar 24, 2005.

1. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 Member

I have a Boss 8'2" poly v-plow. I think it is terrible. In the V position it leaves a strip in the middle. When it's at an angle or straight, it leaves about a half inch of compacted snow on the asphalt, which makes it impossible to climb when your on a hill. And the scoop position leaves snow along the out side edges. Its not run off but the plow isn't touching the ground. How can this be fixed?
  2. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

your attachment point is too low. you will have to adjust the truck mount to get the mount up higher..
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well, a lot of people on here seem to like adjusting Boss blades against curbs for some reason :p lol

But seriously, your push beam is indeed in the wrong place, most likely. I know an older RTII needs the center point of the mounting 'pins' to be as close as possible to 13 1/2" off the ground. I'd imagine the newer ones are similar but check with someone with a manual or a dealer.

Remember that this would change with bigger tires or a suspension lift, if they were installed after the plow, you would need to move the beam to match the original distance. Keep in mind that even an inch out will translate to a much larger amount after 4-5' with the wings all the way forward...
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  4. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

BNC I believe is correct. My Boss is on an 87 Chevy 3/4 ton. I have it mounted on the lowest bolt setting on the frame mount and it may still be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch high. This has a tendancy to wear the outer wings off a little faster. Then when you angle or scoop it sometimes leaves a little snow. I don't worry about it though because most of my accounts don't have smooth enough concrete or asphalt to be that picky. You couldn't get it clean with a perfectly flat edge. Your problem, I would think, would be from lack of proper adjustment. I have never had a real complaint about how clean a job my plow does. I have also never left any snow in the center to the plow. Actoully, it seems like my "center hoof" digs in more than the cutting edges, especially when I blade gravel, it leaves a definite streak where the hoof it running.
  5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

here ya go look at this........

boss plow mount.jpg
  6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

or for the older model.........

7. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

i was going to buy a boss

but i dont want any of these troubles
  8. derekbroerse

Any of what troubles?

This is done by whoever installs the plow. Other than height modifications to the truck done by the owner, this should never really change. Any lifted truck usually requires a modification to the plow mount, thats a given, regardless of brand... unless there happens to be more adjustment in one than another. Usually it is just a matter of selecting the right bolt holes.
  9. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

i just go a 2005 2500HD HOW DO YOU LIKE BOSS

? :bluebounc
  10. 1993dodge

1993dodge Junior Member

what engine and what trans are you going to use it to plow
  11. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

6.0 eng 4/10 locking diff. rear end

:gunsfiring: should be good
  12. derekbroerse

I love my BOSS V.... others have not been so fortunate from what I have read. I figure that plowing with care there is no reason not to get many many years of good service from one. Mine just completed its 8th season with no major problems.

Other people seem to be having some weld issues... Still others are bending them... :confused:

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one based on my experiences, especially since the dealer is 5 mins away. :nod:
  13. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Check out Chucks 10' v on the other side Derek. Really a shame, I sure hope they cover it under warranty.

14. derekbroerse

I did, actually... I agree I hope they warrenty that, though you can bet there will be fighting over it ie: proving it was not abused--pretty much standard of any company....

Honestly, I really wonder if these are a couple of flukes, or if Boss' quality could have really slipped this badly??? I should go have a little chat with our local dealer, we are on very good terms... find out how much of this is rare and how much is a common problem....
  15. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a good Idea (talkin to your dealer). My local guy is not a dealer just an upfitter, he crams Boss down everyones throat. He sells Western too but has nooo idea what a pro plus looks like IMO. He plows his lot so he is an expert lol. Our real dealer had a major fallout with Boss so they droped them. These guys are a big outfitt stupid move on Boss's part.They sell well over 500 blades a year (Meyer, SnowWay, Western) I would really like to know about this wing problem for Chuck and maybe it was a fluke. I do seem to hear more problems about Boss's welds letting go then any of the other brands. I only know one guy personally and he has 2 Boss v's and they have been very good to him. No problems at all except the center wiper thing.

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I don't worry about a 1/2 of snow left in the middle of my push? The Salt shakers come thru and it's GONE or the sun after the storm makes it go away!
    The big thing is your saving time with a V plow that can be spent on the next place. Pavements never level, so I never worry about trailers I leave.
  17. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Get a new center hoof(Boss plows seem to be hard on them) or make something like what fisher and western use to take care of the little strip down the center.

It dosnt matter what brand plow you buy you will have to have it adjusted properly. Who ever installs it should do it. If you change your vehicle hight it can throw this adjustment off. Do your adjustment with what ever ballast you are going to run too or if you are going to plow with a speader have it in there.