1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

adjusting bands....

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by motoxdk24, Jan 28, 2006.

1. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

anyone ever do it themselves? how difficult is it?

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Depends on what tranny you have. It's pretty easy. in general. only 2 bands to adjust in most- reverse and 2nd gear.

3. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

It is not rocket science, but this depends on your mechanical abilities. I do all of my own work, so it is no big deal.

4. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

i didnt think its a big deal either, i was gonna do it this week. i jsut wanted some opinions about it.

5. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Can you tell me what dose adjusting the bands acomplish? thanks

6. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

7. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

I do Tranny service-Fluid nd fliter and gasket- on all three of my trucks at every oil change, just never heard of adjusting the bands.. Thanks-moto

8. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

Mopar I believe you have to drop the pan to adjust reverse band. Bands wear and have to be adjusted to bring back into specs.

9. bikeluver43

bikeluver43 Member
    from Mass

Is there a way to tell when this will need to be done? Does the truck shift hard, or too soft, slipage, etc? Thanks!!

10. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

Recommended Intervals for Band Adjust, Fluid Change, Filter Change:
    24,000 miles or 24 months, whichever comes first

thats what that website said, but ive gone 112k without adjusting bands, and my trucks been through some hard pulling and plowing. Just thought id throw it out there as a reminder becasue im going to do it regardless of how my tranny feels.

Its just like adjusting a streched chain on a dirt bike, chain aint broke, jsut needs some adjustment to make tight again.

good analogy?? :eek: maybe not....

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

no, no way of telling from feel. The bands are something you just need to check and adjust as needed on schedule. A bad batch of fuel will cause more noticible problems from feel than bands out of adjustment.