1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adjusting a-frame height

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by cfdeng7, Sep 9, 2009.

1. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

Hey guys,

My new xblade's a-frame is set in the top of the 3 holes and it is a hole high fo rthe truck. i assume the easiest way to do this is to hook up the plow raise the blade, and pull the pins while the plow is in the air and then readjust into the middle holes. thats how ive planned it in my head. anyone got any tips or an easier way to do this?

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You definitely want to put it on the truck. You've got the basic idea. A floor jack will make it easier, as opposed to trying to use the plow lift arm to raise or lower the a-frame.

The a-frame needs to be level with the ground for best all around performance. On a nice flat piece of hot top or concrete, angle the blade, and lower it till it just starts to touch the ground. If the leading end hits first, you need to move to a "higher" hole. So the truck end of the a-frame moves downward. Opposite if the trailing edge hits first.
  3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If you manage to get the pins out while the plow is in the air the back of the A-frame will slam up into the bottom of your truck. Way to much wait out front.

What you want to do is the way we use to hook up the old plows, just use the lift to take the weight of the a-frame, no slack in the chain, but blade still on the ground. Then pull the pins and adjust till the a-frame sits level.

I have also seen it done off the truck by tipping the headgear back away from the plow till it is horizontal and sitting on ground where it mounts into truck. Then pull pins and adjust. most dealers assemble the plow this way and then tip it forward.