1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adjustable length plow.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Remsen1, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

My nine year old step-son said he saw a snow plow that one could slide the sides out to make it longer. I didn't discount what he was saying because I know there are some new innovations in the snow plowing industry, but I have never seen one for myself. It sounds like a neat idea because if the snow was really heavy you could make the plow length equal to the width of the truck and if the snow was light or if you are moving the banks back and you have to deal with a ditch or a drop off on the side you could extend the plow beyond the width of the truck. Some other benefits would be: you could make it narrower for on-road travel, you could make it wider to decrease plowing time, If you're turning in tight quarters you could make the plow narrower. Some disadvantages would be weight and all of the resulting negative side effects, more moving parts, initial cost, when you're not pushing snow straight ahead (if the bank is off to one side) it twists the plow frame more.

Are these types of plows currently being manufactured or would this be a fabricated plow? Does anybody on this forum have one of these?

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Wright trailer in seconk ,ma has sells them they are called the blizard they go from 8' to 10' you can probable see them on there web site.

3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search on Blizzard Plows here.
    Lots of information on them in various posts here in the recent past.

4. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

expandable pull plow

I saw an ad for an expandable pull plow.
    Extendaplow EXT-180
    Extendable Snowplow
    The EXT-180 has a patented design that allow for hydraulically extendable widths from 8.5-15 feet

i thought that was pretty interesting. Greenquestlawn also knows of a company that makes extedable pull plow.

Bryan

5. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

This extendable idea is catching on. I saw an ad for a JD 550 size bulldozer with a blade of the same concept. I would like to see the construction, because a tractor can put some serious torque on those wings.

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Patented Bryan?

That's what our old friend Lazer from this forum was patenting. A rear pull plow that extended up to 14 feet I believe. I wonder if it's him, and if he got his patent.

(Lazer, you still reading here buddy?)

~Chuck