1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adjust the trip spring tension??

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by PlowVA, Dec 8, 2005.

1. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Hey fellas. I was out the other night just scraping the lots so we could put some chemical down before everything froze. I did a couple new lots because it was the first storm and two of our guys broke down. I guess that is what first storms are for. Anyway, I was going real slow (under 5mph) because I didn't know these lots and didn't want to break anything on the first night out of the year. Well I hit a couple manhole covers and a few cracks. The friggin' plow is jumping up and slamming back real voilently. It threw my travel coffee mug right out of the holder (it was empty )

My plow trips easy enough, but my whole friggin' truck jumps every time I hit something. I'm wondering if I should loosen the tension on the trip springs. What do you all think??

Also, has anyone added a shock absorber to their blizzard?? I might think of adding one of those. Can't figure out where to mount it with the hydraulics where they are located. Can't fasten anything to the lights bracket. Maybe on the sides. Any ideas?

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't how to fix it but mine does the same thing, you would think would be a little more "gentle" then that.

3. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

Well keep in mind you're tripping a 1000 lb plow. As for the shock absorber I don't think they do squat anyway. I don't think my 810 trips much worse than my Wester 8'6".

4. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Just got home from 12 hrs of plowing here in DC. Not a lot of snow, but I had plenty of parking lots to do!! I had a chance to play around with a friends setup overnight. He has a mid 80s ford dually diesel with an 8 foot Myers plow. I think the angle of attack on the blade is much more upright with the Blizzards vs. the fishers/myers/etc... I think it makes for better scraping, but harder jolts when tripping. His also felt lighter on the truck. I don't know how to explain it. When I'm in my truck I FEEL the steel on the pavement. In his, it felt as though the blade was floating more (but scraped fine, right down to pavement). I go real slow all the time now, just looking for something that will trip the plow. It was more enjoyable in his rig, not having to watch out as much.

This was my first plowing experience with anything other than my rig. Has anyone had different plows in the past? Did they feel different than the Blizzards? Just curious.

5. MJM Landscaping

MJM Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I usually use my x blade trip edge and I like the way that trips. Doing gas stations the fill covers it trips but I know where they are. I tried my new BOSS 7'6 on my ford, its a full trip blade, and I really didnt like how it tripped. It was very easy to trip and when I was trying to push up piles it just kept tripping. I might just not be use to a full trip blade also.

6. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Mine hasn't tripped under a load, but when I hit something under the snow. Look out. SLAM!!:eek:

7. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

Now if they could make a trip edge for the blizzard 810 that would be awsome...