1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Addressing Envelopes

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by mcwlandscaping, Feb 8, 2010.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Up til now i've pretty much been hand addressing all of my invoices (i hate it, doing it and how it looks) except for my commercial clients that i run through the printer, however, this is rather time consuming...at least with microsoft word it is.

Do you have any recommendations for some sort of label makers either as stand alone units or some USB type of device i can hook up to my computer and also where i can get it (we have a staples and office depot nearby)? I'll be having a bunch of envelopes made up with my logo and return address on them but will still have to obviously put the clients address on it. I'll be putting together a ton of proposals for local businesses within the next week for summer work so I need to implement this rather soon!

thanks for any suggestions!

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Consider window envelopes.
    Fold the invoice properly so it (their address) shows up in the window.

3. mcwlandscaping

Thats a real good idea, i would assume that i can setup my invoices in quickbooks to make this work. Not the biggest fan of quickbooks but i only use it for invoices as my accountant/book keeper takes care of everything else.

Thanks for the idea!

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

When you hire a secretary, she'll know how to do all this stuff.
    Another thing they taught me.... photocopy all your customer's cheques. I never would have thought of that on my own.

5. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

You just print your invoice ect.. out of quickbooks and then stuff it in a #10 Window Envelope (I use security tint) and you good to go no hand writing on the envelope

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

label's

you can get a p-touch label maker from amazon they hook up to your computer buy usb cord and they do a excellent job i use them for envelope's file folder's every thing .and they are very cheap i have a model ql-500 as low as $55.00 new $29.00 used i payed $89.00 for mine at office max what a big difference . my sister has a small side line candy making business and she uses the **** out of hers ! :D

7. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I use the Avery self stick labels and quickbooks can make address labels on them perfectly. Then I made some return labels and saved it. Just peel and stick. Avery forms are available online so they print in the right boxes too. Quick and easy.

***Edit...you can get them at Walmart for about 10 bucks.

8. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I use Quickbooks also... with the right envelopes with windows you won't go wrong it safes me hours of handwritingpayup

9. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Thats how we do it, once you have it set up, its fast and easy.

10. mcwlandscaping

Awesome guys, definitely sounds like the window envelopes are the way to go! Thanks a bunch! I really didn't want to buy a label maker so this is great, i hated the unprofessional look of those hand-written envelopes! Just will probably have to change my invoice layout to make this work, certainly will be worth it

11. mcwlandscaping

And i know you must have a TON of invoices that go out!

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

We use the window envelopes and quickbooks. Run the window envelopes through the printer for the return address. We also include payment return envelopes, already printed with our address. Previous two years we even put stamps on the return envelopes. We stopped doing that this year. One of our "cuts" rather than increasing rates. Payments seem to come in just as fast, and nobody has said anything about it.

13. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

we use quickbooks and double window envelopes, makes life easier.

14. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

My printer stopped accepting my envelopes to print on. My hand writting sucks and I hate doing it. The window envelopes seem like a good idea. I have Avery 1 x 2 stickers with my logo and return address on them. So I just stick them to the envelope.

I think that quick books will print address on the avery labels. That might be a good way to go. I'm going to look into both options.

15. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

I was using avery address labels, then printing my return address on the envelopes, but its costing me like .65/ea to send a bill. So no more labels, I might go with the window envelopes.

16. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

mcw -

If you're already using Microsoft Word, you can set them up to print all at once.

I have mostly monthly invoicing, so it works best if that's the case.

Count out how many invoices you need each time, and add that many pages.

You can copy and paste your return address on each page, then on each seperate envelope type in your customer's address and then save the whole batch.

Took me about an hour to do 30 different envelopes using Microsoft Publisher, but now each month I just hit print and it prints all 30 automatically.

17. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

We use quickbooks. It will print them for you how you need them then trifold them to go into a #10 window envelope. Ours are printed with logo and return address. We fold invoice place that and a preprinted return envelope I believe a #6 then insert and other newsletter or info we would like to send. You can put roughly 3 pieces of paper and not be overweight of a standard stamp.

18. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Quickbooks Mike, set it up for everything not just invoices and you won't regret it.

19. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i agree, Quickbooks+window envelopes= much less hassle! lol. i used to handwrite them as well and it sucks.

ive gotten compliments on how professional looking they are.

i will be switching to the double window envelopes for return address as soon as i run through this box of single window envelopes. I got a stamp from vistaprint.com for stamping our name and return address on the envelopes. and when i want to impress i have color return address labels that i use.

20. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Quickbooks is great..If you dont want that much of a program Quicken home and office is a little less money and has the same invoicing program as the quickbooks.