1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Additional Pay for Night Time Work

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jkdehner, Oct 25, 2010.

1. jkdehner

jkdehner Junior Member
    from Ohio

I am wondering what you pay additionally for your salaried and your hourly workers if they perform snow removal work at night???
  2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

The majority of snow work is done during the night.......pay-rate remains the same whether it is day time or night time.
  3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

x2 the job is at night therefore, they are expected to come in at night, if they have a problem with that, go work at McDonalds
  4. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

No.... snow removal work is an on-call job. All my employees know they will be on call 24-7 during the snow season. However, I do pay a hourly bonus for snow removal work on top of their spring-fall hourly wages.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  5. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

The Legality of it: most positions in lawn care/landscaping are hourly unless that person works in an administration roll. Why guys/woman except this idea that they should work a whole bunch of hours during the week for a so called (salary) is beyond me! Some farm(nursery) positions can payout without overtime for seasonal work...
    As far as the work, most would agree snowplowing is mainly a night time job. So why pay a bonus? Maybe as some sort of incentive for the strange hours and schedule. Otherwise, if they don't like the work or hours, get out of the snow business...
  6. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

Same rate - night or day.

When you quote it, do you give a day and night quote? Not me.
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I tried this a couple years ago and let me tell you, it was one of the biggest PITA'S ever. Trying to figure out the times where they started in the evenings and finished up in the am. I dont have time for that, especially when I was plowing with them for the last couple days straight, all I wanted to do was sleep just like them. The pay is what it is, if they dont like it find another job.
  8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i do a lot of bonuses through out the year, whenever we do a big project, and it goes well, or if we have a long stint doing snow, i well throw out a bonus. I choose how much it is, and when/if they get it, and if someone comes to me whinning about wanting a bonus, or how much they got, they won't get one again.
  9. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

:salute: yes sir! :salute:
  10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a salaried employee year round as a salesman. I'm paid hourly as a supervisor/plower for anything over 10 hours in a week. All of our guys get a $2/hour bonus at the end of the season for never missing a snow.

EPPSLLC Senior Member

My guys make time and a half when we plow. Remember it's 12 on 12 off for employees guys! I think there is a thing where they can do 18 but then must be off for 24 i think.

I believe having to get up in the middle of the night and leave your family is worth time and a half.
  12. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

This is ingenious. Great way to ensure that they are dedicated to the job throughout the year. Can't take money away from them after you've committed to a rate, but you can give it to them later.
  13. rofoth6

rofoth6 Member
    from iowa

snow during day plow at day, snow during night plow at night. same pay either way, or as someone else said work at McD's
  14. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

So when does day turn to night and night turn to day?
  15. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

24/7 Same Pay, Its a salaried on call job for us in the winter so they work off that salary when we call them in!
  16. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I wish.....I worth atleast DOUBLE at Night.....payup
  17. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting Concept....I will have to adress this with the Snow Boss...:whistling:
  18. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i think thats a really good idea.
  19. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Yes, our bonus is a $5 per hour bonus for never missing a snow for shovelers, higher for drivers.
  20. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

All my snowblower/shoveler's work between 6am and not after 10 pm. due to noise ordeninces. 12 hr. shift max. $50 bonus per shift if below 10 degrees more than 50% of the shift. I charge hefty and pay hefty. All are ready to work.