1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

additional lighting on vehicle

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rich414, Nov 4, 2010.

1. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I have a skidsteer and added magnetic lights to the top of the cab. The lights are yellow and very dim. Anyone out there have any suggestions at a reasonable cost. PHOTOS? what about LED's at a reasonable cost??

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  2. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Are you looking for strobes or flood lights?

3. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

looking for a flood setup

4. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Wait, your looking for magnetic floods to replace the ones you have? Or permanent lighting to replace the magnetics? I'm confused.
    Anyway, heres a link for magnetic floods. If it's something else your after, browse the lighting section of the same website. They have quite a selection and decent prices. I have ordered a lot of stuff from them and have nothing but good things to say about the products, service, and prices.
    http://truckntow.com/pc-11027-147010-magnetic-spot-light-4-way-plug-25-cord.aspx

5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Big PIAA Driving lights, 6 or 8 inch!!! Will do the job.
    Robert

6. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

i have those same lights Minus the big huge cord and magnetic mount that i got from northern tool There pretty good cost $8 got like 4 for my old JD gator

Is your ground/wires all connected tight at secure???
    Because that could be the problem!
    Or your battery is gettin' low....
    I run a separate battery for all of my trucks,skids, and ATV's

7. cris1ford

cris1ford Junior Member
    from Ct

Hi looking for someone that repairs strobes. I have to that are in need of repair.

8. alwayz-plowin

What do u mean by repairs strobes what's wrong?

9. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

here are photos of what I have done.. the 2 side lights were about $35 each and are flood lights, the center was $50 and was called a flood, but I think that it is a spot...cernter light is white and bright, the side lights are dim and kinda yellow....I have taken a lead off the battery and there is no difference is brightness when connected trhought the smoke lighter plug in the cab. I am probably unrealistic with my expattations, but I want it to be like day light at night in front of me and to the sides......

IMG_4666.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4668.jpg

10. alwayz-plowin

i think i know what your problem is!
    THE WIRESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I bet if you cleaned up that wiring and wired it to their own toggle switch it would work alot better!
    Like no offence but i really think it would work.....
    Also why are you running them to a cigar. lighter outlet?
    If you put them directly on the battery it would prob help
    Just my 2 cents! take it or leave it

11. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

:laughing:only to a cigarett lighter is a bad idea to much amps are being puller get an external power terminal from AW Direct you run a battery cable from the hot of your battery to the terminal and then run leeds from your lights to the terminal alot better idea.

12. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Understand that the wires are a clusterf$&% mess...I have come directly off the battery to the lights and the brightness is no better than the inside smoke plug, even using one light at a time..I have also tested the lights off the truck and same thing.. The guy on the internet that I bought the lights from, sent a different "bulb" model at no cost and same thing.....
    So what next? LED lights?.Northerntools has LEDs at $35. Crap or good???

13. alwayz-plowin

Try to find some halogen or HID (high-intensity discharge) tractor turbine lights! every time im Driving down the country road at night i see them and those light are freakin bright! these lights are expensive though!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

15. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

16. alwayz-plowin

found one of these lights in my garage....
    decided to make a video....
    Are your lights brighter or dimmer than these???

Didnt feel like hooking them up to the battery so i hooked them up to this!
    [​IMG]

heres the video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30QslcdQBSs

17. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

U did this video?

18. alwayz-plowin

yes
    Im a techy on the side....

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  19. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

too funny... I have no clue if my lights are as bright as your, all I know is I am not happy with what I have.. I want to light up my path.. and what I have is NOT doing it. it dull and yellow. I might get a beer and go put the light on the bobcat an try and get a video......