1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Addition Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark Erpelding, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Mark Erpelding

Mark Erpelding Member
    from indiana

I have been ask to give some bids on plowing of some small additions, I have never plowed additions before. Can anyone help me learn the ropes of addition plowing? Including the bidding process. I have plowed for the past 5 years. All of my accounts have been lots in the past.
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't have a clue as to what "addition plowing" is. Can you explain?
  3. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

I also have no clue to what "addition plowing" is!
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Ok I thought that I was the only one who did not know what he is talking about.:confused:
  5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I kinda thought he might be referring to residential streets and alleys, as you'd find in a "subdivision", and as happens to all of us sometimes, just couldn't come up with the right word. Outside of that, I don't have a clue either.

Mark, could you clarify?

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

It's kinda funny, I saw there had been 82 viewings but everybody was afraid to ask...;)
  8. Mark Erpelding

Mark Erpelding Member
    from indiana

Yes, Sub-division plowing is exactly what I am referring to. Sorry I worded ti I na a way that it was unclear.
  9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't think your estimating process for the street work would be much different than parking areas. Just get a list of requirements and go from there.

I would research the financial status of the General Contractors in charge of the projects, the biggest problem with that type of job around here is getting paid.
  10. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Now that the question has been clarified, I'll be interested in hearing the replies.

I can see where Mark is looking for help. If you have a mile of subdivision road, 20 feet wide, that would be the *same* square footage as a rectangular parking lot 528 feet by 200 feet. Trying to get 8" of snow to the edge of that road is an entirely different animal than trying to get that same 8" of snow to the 200' edge of that parking lot. You could probably plow the road five times faster, but does that mean it's only worth 20% of what the lot would be worth? But now what if they specify that you can't do like the county trucks do and just say the heck with it and leave a 2' windrow in front of everyone's driveway? :confused:

(I'll be interested because we're looking at something similar right now...) :) (But it includes some sidewalks...) :(
  11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Mark, does this subdivision management have a Request For Proposal that spells out what they expect? Like digger242j said, thier expectations are going to determine the amount of work and risk involved.