1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding winter bed weight

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Beej1024, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Beej1024

Beej1024 Junior Member

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I have seen that. i just wonder what happens when it freezes. I bet that canvas won't hold up too well with it freezing and thawing all the time. Probably would break down. When you have 400 frozen lbs. of ice what do you do when you want to get it out? It would probably adhere to the bed. It is a cool idea tho.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

OK, it freezes, you can't lift it out and you want to use the bed...then what??

60lb sand tubes, easy in and out!
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

That idea looks ********. It freezes, then what? You throw something into your truck and it rips the cheesey bag. then what? It busts loose and starts sliding around...? I'd think just about anything else would be better than that.
  5. Nitro1253

Nitro1253 Junior Member
    from NJ

I just use firewood in the pickup and snow in the dump (sometimes) depending on the weather
  6. ECS

ECS Senior Member

I emptied my tube sand into 5 gal buckets and have them near my tailgate with a board to keep them from sliding. There are also buckets of sand and ice melt in front of them. There are a total of 7 60lb buckets of sand and 3 40lb buckets of salt. That still leaves me room for the blower when I need it. The sand buckets come in handy if I get stuck and easy to use.
  7. slclawn

slclawn Member
    from IN

I use a semi tire cut a good size hole in it and filled with concrete. It don't slide around very easy and i load it with the bob cat. Weighs about 800lbs to 900lbs some times don't evern use 4x4 to plow.
  8. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

I'm set up much like ECS. Buckets are filled with decomposed granite gravel (that's one thing we got plenty of). The tailgate of pickups is not real strong, thus the 2x6 to help.

9. Rampart Ranger

Also have 350 lbs of sand in the storage box. The load is prevented from shifting forward by the 2x4 grid. Total ballast 1050 lbs.

All this is easily removed by backing to deck and using 2 wheel dolly.

10. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I just had a 900lb pound concrete block poured. That will be as close to the tailgate as possible. Lifted in and out by a machine. As for that canvas idea....HAHAHAHA You wonder what these engineeres think sometimes.....
  11. CAMP Lawncare

CAMP Lawncare Member

How much ballast should i have?
  12. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

you could use a water antifreeze mix just like in basketball hoops
  13. Steel

I Sheet Of 1/2 Steel Slideit In And Your Set And Dont Lose Any Bed Area.and You Put Down On A Couple Of Mudflaps . You Get A Nice Ride That Way !!
  14. Rampart Ranger

Having driven a few tankers without baffles, I am leery of unrestrained liquid loads. Plus, what do you do with the hazmat load you created when you're done with it?
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  15. Rampart Ranger

From your profile I gather you have a half ton with a 7.5' plow up front, and a 6.5' rear mount drag plow. Not knowing gross axle weights, or the weights of the plows, I would GUESS that 200-300 lbs would help level and give better traction.

Again, that's a GUESS, and is subject to GAWR, GVWR, and load range of tires.
  16. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I just load about 1,000-1,100 pounds of cinderblocks onto a skid and load it on and off with a forklift. Easiest way for me.

BTW, anyone have an idea for how I can secure this load to the skid so the blocks don't fly off? I have them all packed on the skid neatly, but I don't have a good method of securing them.
  17. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Do you know anyone that runs a wharehouse? Maybe they could put the skid of blocks on a shrink wrapping machine for you.
  18. slauncha413

slauncha413 Junior Member
    from USA

TO secure the pallet, maybe you can cut a sheet of ply wood to the size of the pallet, and then place it on top of the cinder blocks. then maybe use the ratcheting straps to tighten every thing down, and then it acts like a lid, putting pressure on all of the blocks keeping them from falling all around your bed...:drinkup:
  19. Mow It All

Mow It All Member

Hey guys I will vouch for the shurtrax, I have one and i couldnt be happier, I was in VT 2 weeks ago and threw it in there.....It froze and tooke the shape of the bed so it didnt move around. I have thrown crap ontop of it and not even a nick.....I loaded 1/2 cord of wood (Throwing it in) I would recomend it expecially cause i do not have a machine to load a block or anything. My 2cents
  20. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

There's an idea. I have tried the shrinkwrapping at my buddy's manufacturing facility, but over the course of the winter, it gets destroyed. I will definitely try this plan once I get my new forklift in. Thanks! :drinkup: