1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding weight to blade?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by cyamaha2007, Jan 8, 2010.

1. cyamaha2007

cyamaha2007 Junior Member

I have a yamaha kodiak that i put a craftsman plow on. I have been plowing non stop for the last day. Its a money maker but if a car has driven over the driveway i cant get the drive very clean. But if i add about 85lbs to the blade it cuts great. If make the weight removable and only add when needed will i have any problems? Thanks guys
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

It should be fine. Just remember, the more weight, the faster the wear bar will wear. Plus, depending on where you put the weight, it could trip the blade easier.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

what i did to add weight to my lawn tactor bladewasto use metal weights dumbell type, i still have them on it come to think of it.
  4. Reb

Reb Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Adding weight can be a draw back also. I'm not familiar with a craftsman blade but you might take a look at the Cycle Country down pressure system, see if it can be adapted to your blade. That way you get the advantage of the down pressure without the disadvantage of the weight.
  5. BruteForce750

BruteForce750 Senior Member
    from MA

Adding a down pressure system is just like adding weight, just simplified. Now if the down pressure system wasn't static (always being applied), it would be much better.

Another thing to remember, if you add weight to the blade, now your winch has to work that much harder to lift it, and the cable/rope will have that much more pressure on it as well and will most likely wear out quicker.

+1 to everything else that was said as well