1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding weight to bed without tailgate?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ajordan193, Dec 3, 2010.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

I need to add some weight to the bed of my 97 F350. I do not run a tailgate and my bed liner does not have the slots for wood to get in between. Has anyone come up with a way to keep weight behind the axle and not having it slide around? Thanks in advance.

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i run the same setup as you. i put a yard of sand in the back and cover it with a tarp. it doesn't go anywhere. having the tailgate on kills my visibility.

3. chasity2682

chasity2682 Member
    from canada

I use a 600lb plate of steel and i put it on top of a blanket, never moves. and i still have the full use of my bed

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I made a 2X4 wood frame across the bed and in front and behind the wheel wells

5. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

I build a wooden 2x4 framework, with a osb board on the bottom, fill it with cement
    with a few hooks embedded in the cement.

it only takes up 3.5 inches of the bed. So I can still use the bed for other stuff.

I take it in and out with our fork lift, but could be done with a bobcat or tractor as well.
    engine hoist ?

I drilled some holes on each side, so I can put in a 2x6 with dowels at different points
    in the bed. Nice and adjustable...

I just built another one today for our other truck...

Will try and get some pictures in the next day or so..

6. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio