1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding weight to a plow blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rogerfries, Mar 17, 2005.

1. rogerfries

rogerfries Junior Member

A friend of mine has a 78 Dodge Sno Commander with the factory Meyer plow. He was wondering if adding weight to the plow blade would help scraping. His blade seems to be especially bad at back blading. His neighbor has a new truck with a Fisher which seems to do a better job especially at back blading. The Fisher is a much heavyer plow so he was thinking about adding weight to his Meyer. Has anyone done this is it a good/bad idea?

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Keep in mind that if you add more weight that it's going to be harder on the suspension. How warn is the cutting edge?

3. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

I think the boss is right. What size truck is he driving and what size plow? I sure wouldn't want to add weight to my 7.5 western on my half ton.

4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Like BOSS said try a new cutting edge. I am amazed at how much better the blade scrapes, especially backdragging after I install a new edge. :D

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I believe the sno-commander package was for the 3/4 ton and the sno-fitter was the 1/2 ton and the Myers was a 7.8 or 8.? on the Dodges.
    Like Boss asked? How is the cutting edge? the Meyers plows are kind of light compared to some newer plows. Are you thinking of some thing temporally to use just for back dragging? If it is a 3/4 ton I would not worry about adding some weight those old Dodges can handle it just fine.. what are you Thinking of adding to it?

6. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

You could also try a thinner cutting edge. Thatll reduce the surface area, and therefore increase the surface pressure and make it dig harder. Just as long as the cutting edge does not bend, youd just have to try it. You could probably just buy some flat bar and drill the holes to make one yourself.

7. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Cut a weight bar in half. I used one from an old bench press. Weld it to mold board so it sticks up about 8". Drop as many weights as you need on it and secure them with the locking collars that came with the weight set.

8. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

Do none of you have a "backdrag" blade? Every plow i have had i have put a "backdrag" on. How do you get to pavement w/o one? Weight would not be an issue then. Just my opinion. :)

9. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Hey wstwind, I've seen a few of those on plows up in my neck of the woods. Can you post a few pics of how yours is mounted?? I may have to strike up the welder and build one myself this Summer.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

DUoooooo!!! that would be to easy!! I guess were to lazey to put them on wer to ues to ripping things off of our plows!!LOL
    I don't know.. whats another couple of back drags to see the pavement??
    I know I'm going to get it now! :drinkup: :nod:

11. rainair

rainair Senior Member

your post

please use spell check before sending post so we can read it

12. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

will post a picture soon!

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Ralex, I did it on prupros! and who raley ceras? I tought it wulod be fnuny :waving:

14. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

it was funny, and don't let anyone tell ya different! :nod: :nod:

15. rogerfries

rogerfries Junior Member

WSTWIND, Please post the picture. I've never heard of a backdrag blade, but I'm interested.

16. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Hiniker makes one.

17. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

Comparing down pressure and back dragging abilities.

Actually, a question that could be raised is who makes the best back dragging plow without the seemingly time consuming rig that Hiniker has?
    Are there other plows out there that are better at back dragging than others?
    I dont know how other plows backdrag but my Meyer plow seems like it could sure use more down pressure.

18. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

check the hieght of the aframe and compare it to the truck mount.If the a frame is not level it affects how well it scapes. Western also makes backdragging edges although I dont think they work too well on the pro-plus.

19. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

posted two pics. example is a early model hiniker. this set-up, we have also used on western and meyer plows. hope this helps guys!