1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

adding weight 92 f150

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pm3808, Nov 7, 2004.

1. pm3808

pm3808 Junior Member

hi i'm a newbie enjoy your site
    question i have to plow about a mile of dirt road with a steep hill plus two drive ways i had a bronco11 and had to put chains onthe back for the hill used it for five years got tired so this year igot a good deal on a used western plow i put on my 92 f1504x4 automatic 300-6 (my 1st new truck) i put timberins in front but there does not seem to be enough weight in back of truck for traction i was thinking of maybe 5 bags of #80 cement do not want chains daily driver any suggestions
  2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I don't know if I'd put cement bags back there brother. When they get wet, it's going to harden and get nasty.
    I bought some concrete blocks, about 600 lbs worth, for about 40 bucks at a masonry supply. If I had it to do again, I'd have bought patio/boiler blocks instead as they are flatter. The problem was securing them. This year I'm going to try a suggestion I got from a guy here. I'm going to put them in the very back of the bed by the tailgate and cover them with a load of sand. It gets wet, so now I have a little more weight and a supply of sand to use to help me or another guy get out if I get stuck or to spread over my driveway after I plow it. The wet sand also holds the blocks in place so they don't slide around, and hopefully so they won't come smashing through my back window if I get in an accident. At least until I get a 'back rack'.
  3. pm3808

pm3808 Junior Member

plastic bags

i plan to put them in platstic bags and put a stop so they don;t move
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd say the bags of cement are a good idea, but you might start with around 200 - 300#. Add as needed.
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  5. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Yeah, Mick's right about the weight. I have alot of weight because I have a 3/4 ton truck and an 8' blade. You probably don't need quite that much in an F-150.

I still would think the cement would get moisture in it and get ruined even if it's in plastic bags though. But, hey, do what works for you. I just wouldn't want to waste cement mix when I can just use blocks. The bags are probably less likely to move around though, which is a plus. I just hope the cement is cheaper! :nod:
  6. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I used 50 # pound bags of rock salt in mine last year, but I had a use for them in my tailgate salter.

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

The correct amount of weight

I know you have a Western but if you know the weight of it than go to Fishers web site, they have a calculator that given the type of plow and type of truck it will tell you what amount of weight you really need(to make sure your headlights stay correctly aimed. My Ram2500 and 8' FisherHD came to 300lbs. You really should just go and buy Tube sand. They fit nicely in the bed and won't scratch things up or kill you in an accident.
    .....Okay, I just entered you truck into the E-Match calculator at the bottom of the home page and unfortunately it doesn't give the ballast amount because its freaking out that you have Quad Shocks on the front end. It says you should only plow if you added the 3800lb heavy duty suspension package.

The amount of weight you add is also going to be determined by the type and amount of tread left on your tires.
  8. Dave Sponaugle

Dave Sponaugle Junior Member

Bags of sand are cheaper and just as heavy. Cut a 2x6 to fit behind the wheel wells to keep the bags from sliding. If you have a bed liner they will move when you do not want them to.
  9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Bags of tube sand work great as well. I use 8 70 LB tubes of sand in the back of my F-150. That gives me 560 LBS, then 3 or 4 40 LB buckets of Ice Melt, adds some additional weight.
  10. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

For those of you with plastic bed liners that are tired of your cargo sliding around. Heres a cheap solution I found by accident. Replace the washer (your home clothes washer) hoses, the hot and cold ones, with new ones because they probably need it and the old hoses will fpop into the grooves of the bedliner (if yours has grooves) and stickup just enough to keep stuff from sliding on your liner.
  11. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

You know, I think that's an even better idea!

I think I'm going to s#@!can the blocks and try that. The blocks are a pain and I don't like the idea of them maybe taking a ride in an accident. Much obliged cja!
  12. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

Blocks and loose objects

I use to work on an ambulance and all I can say is anything loose in the back of a truck such as blocks, steel, or wood is a really a bad thing waiting to happen. I think anything that can break open and spread out is the way to go. Any solid objects in the truck box can cut through a vehicle like a can opener. Salt bags, sand bags are probably the safest way to go. They can still go flying and cause serious injury but it is less likely. Just my thought. Kevin
  13. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Get some old truck inner tubes, cut them in half where the valve stem is and fill with sand. You can use tie-wire to tie the ends shut like you would a garbage bag. The rubber tube doesn't slide around in the back of your truck.
  14. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I use 2 - 80# cast iron tractor weights with 4 - 60# bags of tube sand on top of them. All of this sits on a piece of plywood 2'x4' (roughly) with a 2"x6" deckscrewed along the forward edge. The 2x6 drops into slots made in the bedliner for the purpose of keeping cargo from sliding. The weight on top of the plywood keeps the 2x6 in the slots and the 2x6 keeps everything from sliding. I am thinking of adding a couple of 5 gallon pails full of sand this year to settle the rear down a bit more.