1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

adding transmission oil cooler

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gkm, Sep 28, 2005.

1. gkm

gkm Senior Member

My truck did not come with a tranny cooler :confused: what would it cost to add will be calling dealer as well. thanks as always :drinkup:

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Are you sure the truck did not come with a transmission cooler??? I though all 2500HDs cam with at cooler. They are pretty simple to install though. All automatics have as a minimum a loop that goes to the main engine radiator. Place the auxiliary cooler on the feed line from the transmission.

it should go like this:

Transmission >> Aux Cooler >> Main cooler (on radiator) >> transmission.

By having it in this order you still get the warming effect when needed. Believe it or not, you can cool it too much.

3. gkm

gkm Senior Member

thanks frozen001 for the information. It came with " hd 4-spd auto trans " but cooler trans not listed. sounds easy enough thanks again

4. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i did not have one in my old truck and i didn't have any problems. but there good to have one less thing to worry about if you have one. :waving:

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I would put one in, better safe then sorry!

6. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I had one instaled today on my 87 S10 Blazer, $51.00 for the part. Don't know how big it is as it was dark when I picked it up.

Gene

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Big towing Trans coolers are pretty cheap to buy.
    It will have one into the radiator but maybe not one in front of the radiator. If you put one in you have to take the return line to the trans and run it to the new cooler. Then the return line from the cooler goes to the transmission.
    Do it in all hard line,no kinks,no crimps, no rubber tubing! Tie it all down with wire ties so it does not move. Look at the radiator area on the the truck.
    You should have (back to front) the radiator, A/C condenser, then like a 6" X 12" little radiator which is your Trans cooler. I bet your Chevy has a cooler.

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

This is the incorrect position.... It must go between the transmission and the engine radiator line... if you put it on the return line you run the potential of over cooling the transmission fluid. The fluid has a proper operating range and sometimes need to be "warmed" up by the engine radiator.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

You know, I don't think I've ever heard it described that way anywhere except on this board. I've got a chart that shows temperatures, but doesn't say anything about low temperatures (minimums). I would think that since any gear changing (and driving in lower gears without the lock-up torque convertor engaged) creates lots of heat, I don't really see how it could ever be too cool.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I've just always put my cooler AFTER the rad tank... and always had good success. Maybe putting it before would be better on a plow truck...

tranny life chart.gif

10. gkm

gkm Senior Member

Thank you all for your help :drinkup: I feel like big goof :blush2: Yes i have one. by the way the dealer said about $90. for part $350. or so for labor :eek: Thanks again

11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Thats some pricey labour!! Were they intending to make the part from scratch or something??? :p

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

And just think of the stuff we can do with $20 worth of brake tubing / fittings and $65 of Cooler. Why the whole system of lines.
    Labor kill's you!