1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding spreader. TGS05 or TGS07

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Raymond S., Oct 21, 2012.

1. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I currently use a Buyers TGS05 which has ran flawlessly. I like the size and simplicity of the unit. We added a vibrator which has made the unit operate perfect, no salt bridges or clogs. I am adding another salter to a different truck. I like the idea of having everything identical, (plows, salters, mowers, employees....well anyway.) I am going to either get another TGS05 and purchase a vibrator as well, or just get the TGS07 which I believe includes a vibrator. I will be running bagged salt only, no sand or bulk. I have the swing mount on our other truck for the TGS05 but would probably just use the receiver mount on this one as I don't want to drill holes into the bumper and rails.
    Any ideas...

2. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

No holes with the TGS07. Comes with the vibrator. We have the 07's on our trucks and love them! But I do have a question? Why are you spending more money on bags? We run bulk thru our 07's and they run fine with no problems of clumping. Get 2 new TGS07's and have 3 ton of bulk delivered and have some spear change in your pockets from the big savings of running bulk!!

3. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Sorry..... I thought you were only talking about the rear bumper. But you do have to drill 1 hole on each top rail. But I didnt drill them 2 holes on my new 2500 ram. I just used a heavy duty C-Clamp on each rail. Works great so far and no holes!!

4. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I use bags for a few reasons. 1. I store everything inside the shop on pallets. I don't have a place outside that I can store it without it being in the way. 2. I carried over 18 pallets last year. I simply just had to look at them sit in the corner of the shop. Can bulk be easily carried over season to season without worrying about moisture? I don't know, just asking. 3. I sold my skid steer last year because it just sat and never got used. I have a forklift in the shop which is pretty handy for loading skids in the back of pickups. Also, we will go through almost a pallet per round. I would have to come back to the shop twice to fill the salter if I had bulk.
    On an average year I'll go through around 75k lbs, or 30 pallets. I know it sounds like alot and maybe I'm an idiot but I like the convenience of bagged. If I had my skid and it wasn't just sitting all year waiting to load salt, with a convenient place to store the salt, then I'd probably go with bulk.

5. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

So lets do the math..... Lets just say you get 40 (50)Lb bags a salt in a pallet. Thats 2000 LB's of salt or 1-ton. You are using 30 pallets of salt a year. Thats 30-ton's. Now at $5.00 bucks a bag. That would be around $6000.00 dollars a year to buy bagged salt. I got my bulk pricing in a few weeks ago. 22-ton delivered to my shop would be around $1400.00. That would leave you with a difference of 8-ton. Will bump the price up to 75.00 a ton because your only getting 8-ton and not 22-ton. So at the end of the day..... Are you ready?? Are ya sitting down?? If you buy bulk you would spend $2000.00 dollars for salt for the same 30-ton!!! WOW!! $4000.000 dollars is a new 8ft snowdogg plow (installed) or hell it would be one hell of a vacation for you and the wife!! With 4K bring the kids as-well!! payup :eek:

6. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Well since you're into math...let's play.

30 pallets x 2450/pallet = 73,500lbs or 36 ton
    36 ton x $75/ton = $2700
    73,500 / 50 (lb bags) = 1470 bags
    1470 x $3.70/bag (I buy truckloads, not from home depot) = $5439
    Wow, you're right, I'm $2739 in the hole. Wait, now let's calculate productivity.

I can only load 800lbs in my spreader, unless I buy a Vbox (which would be paid for in the first year w/ savings, I understand that.) So I have to pay a driver to come back to the shop twice per night, so we lose 2 hrs total, per event

2 hrs x $150/hr = $300
    $300 x 20 events (avg) = $6000
    It now costs me $6k to use bulk, but I did save $2739
    $6000 - $2739 = $3261

I haven't even bought a skid to load it or built a place to store it. I have 5 properties that account for almost all my salt. All 5 properties are tied into the hospital. What happens when they decide to pull it in house, give the lowballer a try, or just start busting balls and eliminate the salt (which won't happen.) For me, bagged salt works. I make ALOT of money when the snow flies. I buy new trucks, put the biggest plows on them money can buy, and pay my guys well. I could probably make due with older trucks, smaller plows, and unemployed crackheads. The $2700 it might "cost" me to use bagged salt is a drop in the bucket for the benefits I might see. I understand for most guys it's a no brainer. If I had a skid steer that was just sitting in the winter and a huge empty pole barn or mafia blocked pad to store the salt, and a Vbox in a dedicated salt truck...sure I'd use bulk. At the end of the day there are many more variables to a business decision than dollars and cents.

Or another option would be to buy a load of bulk salt and pay my guys to put it into bags for me. Just kidding. What kind of leunatic would do that. :dizzy:

So...about that spreader :drinkup:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  7. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

So after all that math....... What did we learn?? You got it right!! Time to buy a V-box!! :drinkup:

8. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

getting back on topic... If you decide not to take your own advice. The TGS07 would be worth every penny.

9. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

This is gonna be a long winter if we don't get some snow :)

10. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Now that my friend. I'm sure we are both in agreement on!! :nod:

11. Mega cab

Mega cab Member

I agree that baged is the way to go unless you are using 100s tons. I went through 50pallets last year. We also store inside and use forklift. The whole key is what your paying we are buying rock salt pre season around $3 per bag in season 4ish. Not worth the problems not to mention if you have waste.