1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding speed control to Spreader on/off box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by KCGman, Dec 8, 2009.

1. KCGman

KCGman Junior Member

2. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

Looks like that might work. You could just get a rheostat from an auto parts store, which is essentially just a variable speed switch and run it with an inline fuse. I wouldn't see why that wouldn't work.
  3. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

That will not work, a spreader motor can draw up to 80 amps at start up, and you'd burn out that box. Karrier makes boxes that are universal.
  4. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

I guess a small rheostat wouldn't work either then. I know the old Western controllers were just REALLY big rheostats, but I don't think you could find anything close to that at at auto store.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A rheostat will definitely not work. You need something with an SCR or triac to control the voltage. The device you linked to should work, but I might not buy that one. The 30 amp rating is quite low, and based on the translation skills, I would question the quality.
  6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

How'd you get so smart???
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That all happened before I started the sniffing the Yellow Paint :laughing::laughing:
  8. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

i tried the one from ebay last year. The problem I had with it is that you need to run all of the power from the battery thru the swich and back to the motor. I wanted my switch in the cab so it was a long run for the power and by the time it got back to the motor it was gone. I was using heavy wire too. There may be another way to hook it up, but the way I did it did not work.