1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

adding sides to v box

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by OBRYANMAINT, Dec 9, 2002.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i would like to greaten the capicity of my v-box spreader and did not know how high i could make the sides?
    manufacturers usually only offer 6" extensions so that gives me a start.

assuming that i can support the v box properly, i am guessing a foot or a bit more would go!?

spreadator 8'
  2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

I have a highway spreader. I added boards to mine 2X6 and 2X10 to another highway spreader a friend of mine owns.

I made custom brackets for both.

I take some pictures and post so you can see the outcome.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

OBRYANMAINT, assuming your truck can handle it, you should be fine adding a 2x12 as an extension (I plan on using full dimension 1x12 with bracing avery 4'). It's just that a 12" extension would add 32 cubic ft or 1.2 cu yrd. Considering that V-boxes often get put on 3/4 or one ton SRW trucks, I'd say the manufacturer is considering liability with limiting to a 6" extension.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

I was concerned with the v-box handling the extra weight we will be using a smaller v-box that was in a pickup on a one ton so truck capicity also is no issue but i would like to utulize a tool i already have verses buying new......Yea i was thinking some 12" extensions!
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I added a 2x8 around the top of my smith unit and it has served me very well. I would not doubt that a 2x12 would well also.
  6. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

We extended all of our Vboxes. We used 2x12 lumber, and ordered corner brackets from northern, we then attached u brackets to hold 2x4 to hold the 2x12 in place. total extension costabout $30.00.