1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Adding "Shock Boots" to cylinders

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jonw440, Aug 29, 2005.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

I will be picking up my 8'SD straight blade soon. Before I use it this winter I was thinking of adding "Shock boots" to the angle and raise cylinders to keep the salt and sand off of the cylinders. What do you think? Good idea? What size are the cylinders?

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Just keep in mind that if salt and mositure does make it inside the boots, it will stay in there. I've never had any problems with my cylinders. I wash my plow after each and every use and I keep them oiled while in storage.

3. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

A set of boots sure look good while the plow is straight or on a slight angle.
    We tried a few years ago to use them, the boots will need to be pulled back and the cylinders cleaned and lubed as water and salt do get inside thru the vent holes as you angle back and forth.
    The other trouble was when you fully compress the cylinder it would pinch the end of the boot and also try to push the end of the boot over the mounting bracket.
    Just a few things to watch out for.

:rolleyes: John...

4. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

It sounds like they wont be of much help. Thanks for the replies!! :drinkup: